rny proximal to distal revision HELP PLEASE

kam
on 6/5/06 9:47 pm - Warren, MI
I need your opinions. Here is my story (brief) Starting weight 312 lbs I had Lap RNY Proximal in Sept 2003 I quickly began losing weight only 1 complication of a stricture that 2 egd's fixed. about 1 year out I stopped losing weight was sent to nutritionist who said I was doing everything right. She referred me to a gynecologist because it must be hormonal --she was right I had to have a complete hysterectomy. My weight is now 199 (teeter between 193 and 199/200. I seen my doctor who I thought the next step was tummy tuck----although we had a goal of not doing it before 180 (I have tried to reach that for about a year with no luck) He mentioned Revision to distal--then kind of back pedaled a little (I am so confused do not know if he wanted me to have it or not) Told me it was very risky. But after reading the boards I see alot of people have it. My first surgery was horrible (recovery wise) although I am able to eat just about anything only milk does not agree--never had dumping or sweats just perfect my body bouced back great. Would rather have it open this time to make sure everything is okay. I have been up all night reading and believe I did not come this far to be stopped and I do need to lose more than 20 lbs. WHAT DO YOU THINK?? Please let me know your thoughts. (I did call the office and leave a message for my doctor to order the EGD to start this process)
sopralto
on 6/7/06 12:57 am - WA
I think your doctor is out of line. You have had a fantastic weight loss and a distal may compromise your health for 20lbs? You should learn to love your new body. People who get distal RNY usually don't seem to lose much or gained most or all of their weight back. They still have their co morbidities. When I went to WLS seminar the MD said they expect you to lose 70% of excess body weight and some only lose 50% and it is considered success. I would increase my exercise, esp weight lifting to rev up your metabolism and increase muscle mass. This takes the place of fat and yet weighs more. I met with a personal trainer when I was stuck at a plateau and she said to change the type and intensity of exercise because your body gets accustomed to your usual level of activity. Just my opinion, hope you are happy with whatever you decide.
Christine1959
on 6/9/06 2:03 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I agree with Kathy. I would never take on the risks of surgery to lose 20 lbs. Best wishes. Christine
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/06 6:07 am - Fairborn, OH
I would not have another surgery to finish losing 20 pounds. If you have insurance, they will not pay for your surgery over 20 pounds either. If you are self-pay, why in the world would you incur such costs over 20 pounds. Take a deep breath. If 20 pounds was all I had left, I'd be doing jumping jacks ( or at least I would if I didn't have this damn skin lol). I think everyone is right. You've down wonderfully, get the plastics - they will help get rid of some that 20 pounds anyway and you're money will have been spent in the right place.
sudio45
on 6/15/06 6:34 am - Fairborn, OH
Kimi - how are you doing since your revision to DS? The last thing I read from you was that you had trouble with your DS while in the hospital. Are you losing again? - Sudy in Fairborn
Most Active
Recent Topics