New to OH and need support!

debrahn
on 6/9/06 7:14 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Hi! I discovered OH about a week ago and have learned a lot. It's time to introduce myself. I had gastric bypass in 1999 at 243 lbs. (I'm 5'4") at Mayo in Az. I did great the 1st year and half - no complications, have experienced "dumping" only about 4 times, have never vomited after eating,etc.. I got down to 155 lbs., size 10 6 months post-op. I maintained my lost for a year and started gaining. I immediately started dieting and exercising - Atkins, South Beach, low fat, low carb - you name it - I tried it. So began over 4 years of yo yo dieting. My PCP put me on Merida and Xenical. I would slowly lose, then regain - starving the whole time. No matter what I did, I couldn't keep the weight off. I tied so hard that 2 years ago I actually fractured my right leg from exercising and was in a cast for 4 months. I finally threw in the towel January 2006 and I'm now at 198 lbs. (can still squeeze into a size 14) and hating myself. I'm hoping for insurance approval for revision. I accept responsibility for my failure. But in my defense, my failure is due to ignorance. Back in 1999, Mayo did not have any educational or support programs. I left the hospital without so much as a do and don't do list. The only instruction I got was to chew food 30 times, no sugar or raw veggies and to eat pasta or rice. I'm just now finding out how many things I did wrong - started eating soft solids and drinking pop a week post-op, drank fluids with meals, etc. Now I wish I had had some problems post op so I would have sought out help. My PCP ordered upper GI x-rays and referred me for revision. I met with the surgeon on Monday and I'm scheduled for an endoscopy next Wednesday, June 14. My surgeon said my GI xrays show my pouch (9-10 cm; over 4 inches) and stomal opening is too large due to original surgery not being done right. He said my weight gain is not my fault! He also said there shouldn't be a problem with insurance approval. Anyone have any experience with AZ Blue Shield/Blue Cross HMO? I'm hoping to get support here. I have absolutely no home support. My husband has never had any weight problem, but thinks he's an expert. He thinks all it takes is will power. I told him what the doctor said about it not being my fault and he just rolled his eyes. He's made it very clear that I disgust him. I met him when I was 6 months post-op and 155 lbs. He thought then that I was fat and needed to lose about 20 - 30 lbs. I still have not convinced him that it's impossible to exercise away my excess skin on tummy. I really don't have much excess skin. Wow! I've written a book. Be talking to you all again.
jenlaur1
on 6/18/06 9:55 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13
It doesn't seem that this forum gets alot of activity..it may be better to go to the main board to see if anyone can answer any questions you have. I wish you the best of everything...hope you get approved for a revision soon so that you can start on that wl road. Take care. Cathy
STACEYG
on 6/18/06 4:10 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Debbie, Just an FYI>>>:0 I too had the same troubles you did. My open Roux-en-Y was done in 1985. They told you to eat carbs and no restrictions on soda(even if diet)...well I gained quite a bit back and never ever felt full no matter what I ate. I also live in Arizona..my doc was awesome. She performed a revision laparscopically---6 tiny little incisions..it was a breeze. She placed a lap band over my enlarged stoma and it has worked miracles. Had it done on 4/5/06 and feel great..think I have lost almost 50 lbs so far. Finally after 15 years feel full. It is the Scottsdale Bariatric Center-Dr. Blackstone..no problems at all with my insurance. I went to other docs in Phoenix...but really wanted laparoscopic procedure. So much less down time and better recovery Thanks and good luck, Stacey
debrahn
on 6/20/06 6:05 am - Goodyear, AZ
Thanks for your support! I've heard good things about Dr. Blackstone. I'm going to Dr.Juarez with Bridges. I had a hard time deciding between Blackstone and Bridges, but decided on Bridges because of their educational programs. Dr. Juarez can also do the revision laparoscopically. I'm not to impressed with the staff, but I like Dr. Juarez and Dr. Fang. Dr. Fang did the endoscopy which confirmed what the upper GI showed. He said the stomal opening is over 20cm and should be 10 -15 so food is going straight to intestine. No wonder I'm always hungry! He said there shouldn't be any problem with insurance approval. I hope my revision goes as well as yours. Again, thanks for the support and sharing your experience. Debbie
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/06 12:51 am - Fairborn, OH
You're not alone - this is becoming increasingly more common as more and more people get RNY surgeries. I had mine revised to DS May 06 - check out my profile for details. Good luck with your revision. I am not sure if you have specific questions, but if you do, feel free to ask.
ICANDOTHIS W.
on 7/10/06 7:12 am - BEAR, DE
WELCOME. You will love it here
Most Active
Recent Topics