Has anybody ever experienced this before?

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/06 5:58 am - Plano, TX
My revision surgery was last Monday, June 12th. I was revised from the VBG to the RNY. I had some problems with my blood pressure before the surgery, so my regular PCP put me on Toprol, which is a beta blocker. He told me I didn't have to take it the day of my surgery and it wouldn't hurt anything, so I didn't. Apparently during and after the surgery, I had some high blood pressure problems, for which they gave me meds in the hospital. An Internal Medicine doc came by my room and talked to me about the high blood pressure and prescribed a different kind of pill. The first night I am home (last Friday) I took the Toprol before I went to bed, because we hadn't gotten the new prescription filled yet. I can't sleep laying down in my bed because my insides feel like they're pulling in all directions, and it makes me nausiated. So I settled into our big leather recliner. As soon as I dozed off to sleep, I started to feel dizzy and nauseous, and my heart started pounding. My left arm and leg got tingly. So my husband and I thought it might be because of my blood pressure. Well I kept experiencing the same thing over and over again, but only when I was dozing off to sleep. By 4:00 am, I was bug-eyed and needed sleep. My husband drove me to the emergency room. We were there for four hours and went through a series of blood tests, EKG's ect. Everything was normal, including my blood pressure. They told me that it was most likely a reaction from the Toprol and not to take it anymore. They gave me a script for Valume and something for nausea and sent me home. I got home and took the Valume and had no trouble sleeping, except that I woke up with a horrible headache. My husband purchased a blood pressure cuff and checked my blood pressure periodically during the day and it stayed normal all day long. Next night, I took the valume and the nausea med before I went to bed. I hadn't taken the Toprol, and I didn't take the new medicine either. Except this time, every time I dozed off to sleep, my chest would get all tight, my left arm and leg felt tingly, I felt this insane pressure in the top of my head, my eyes and sinuses pulsed, and I could see a white haze floating across my eyes. I was really scared, and since my husband had to be at work, my daughter drove me back to the ER. We were there five hours while they did chest x-rays, a CT scan of my chest, more blood work, EKG, etc. They couldn't find anything wrong. No temp, my blood pressure was fine. The doc thinks the Toprol still hasn't left my system yet, and it's still the culprit. I'm not asking for anybody to be a doctor and diagnose me, but perhaps somebody has gone through this experience before? Maybe you can tell me what you learned about your experience? This really scares me.
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/06 11:54 am - Plano, TX
I thought I would let everybody know the outcome of this. My doctor finally found the culprit of all the weird symptoms I was having. Of all things it is an inner ear infection. Who would have guessed. Since it is viral, you can't treat it with antibiotics, you just have to let it run it's course. But he gave me some meds for the episodes, and something to help me sleep. Just thought I would let you know in case you ever experience something like this.
Most Active
Recent Topics