Revision from Mini Gastric By-Pass

darnell239
on 6/20/06 8:20 am - Columbia, SC
I has the mini gastric by-pass 6 years ago. I had no complications but I did not lose the amount of weight I thought I would. Over the years I have regained. My question is does anyone out there ever heard of other MGB patients having to have revisions? If so do you know which surgery they chose? I would like to chose a relatively safe surgery that can provide long term weight loss. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
ladynitewolf
on 6/21/06 7:37 am - BFE, CA
As a revision patient, I think you're going to find that no matter which surgery you choose you're going to have at least some level of higher complications than what you may have had with your MGB. It seems to be the statistics that revisions are more complex than an original surgery no matter what you do. As to which type of surgery to chose, obviously I am biased in favor of you getting a revision to the Duodenal Switch. But no matter which surgery you chose, you need to find a doctor that is skilled in revisions. You don't want someone who doesn't understand the problems that you will be facing from adhesions, old staple lines, etc. hacking away at you. And yes, I have heard many times of MGB patients wanting to seek revisions, but I don't know what surgery they switched to. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/06 7:06 am - Thomasville, NC
Rachel: I had the MGB 8 yrs ago with Dr.Rutledge in Chapel Hill. I am also considering a revision(maybe to the DS).....I have some problems...I had to have an iron infusion last summer since pills didnt help...I experience bile reflux a few times a month.... Also, I am just scared fo the possible future problems too... Like you, I never lost all the weight I should have...I went from around 330 to 220..I now weigh 250...When I had surgery he made the pouch 4 ozs and only bypassed 4 ft... If you would like to email me so we could exchange info privately here is my address: [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics