Lap Band vs. RNY

Kimberly H.
on 6/22/06 9:51 pm - FL
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has converted from the Lap Band to the RNY?
Tonia Loveslife
on 6/27/06 2:02 pm - Port Neches, TX
Yes, of course. I found out there are many of us!
Tonia Loveslife
on 6/27/06 2:04 pm - Port Neches, TX
I forgot to ask if you are considering doing this?
Kimberly H.
on 6/27/06 10:11 pm - FL
I was going to consider it at first when the doctor told me the only options were taking out the band and that's it, or taking out the band and converting to RNY. But, I REALLY, REALLY don't want RNY, which is why I got the band in the first place. But, on a second visit to the doctor he told me another option is to reposition the band. I was just looking for information on if anyone has converted, if so why, what happened. Am I the only one who has screwed up with the band? Etc., Etc....... Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tonia Loveslife
on 6/27/06 11:27 pm - Port Neches, TX
Well, I was having reflux pronblems and a slippage. If you don't want the RNY and you think the band can still work for you stick with it. Are you having problems with the band and have you had any success with it? Tonia
Kimberly H.
on 6/27/06 11:40 pm - FL
I did have some success initially. In the first 6 months I lost 47 pounds. Then I got pregnant. I tried to have the band filled again after my pregnancy, but I developed heartburn and reflux like you would not believe. I had it unfilled and went for an upper GI which showed that the pouch is way bigger than it should be. The doctor said this is from chronic prolapse (pulling the rest of the stomach up through the band) by eating too much. Well Duh. Anyway....when I first posted the question about the conversion to RNY - this was the only choice he gave me aside from taking it out. But, when I went back after a repeat upper GI after I tried a liquid diet for 2 weeks trying to shrink the pouch again, he told me that he could go in and put it back in place, the way it should be and originally was. I want to try again and think I can be successful with it and will probably go this route, but was just looking for some other input from people who have done both and are you happy with the decision to convert. Thanks a bunch. Kim
MsBatt
on 6/28/06 12:48 am
Revision to the RNY is far from your only option. If you want a restriction-only procedure, there's a Vertical Sleeve Gactrectomy which will PERMANENTLY reduce the size of your stomach, yet leave it fully functional. If you think you also want a malabsorption component, there's the VSG/DS---the stomach portion is the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, and the intestinal portion is the DS. Much like the RNY, but no stoma to deal with, and the very best long-term statistics regarding maintained weight loss.
Kimberly H.
on 6/28/06 10:03 pm - FL
Thank you very much for this additional information. This is a procedure I had not heard of. It gives me more to think about.
Jo Ann
on 7/13/06 10:43 pm - Orlando, FL
I have Dr. Jawad also and I was revised on 5/31/06 from the band to RNY. Like you I was totally against getting the RNY but at this point where I am at now I can truly say that I am so glad that I made the decision to do it. It took me a few months to make my mind up after Dr. Jawad told me my band had to come out, no if's ands or butts. If you would like to talk more about this please feel free to e mail me anytime at [email protected] Jo Ann
daniw
on 6/29/06 11:24 pm - Rochester Hills, MI
Hi I am having a revision from lap band to rny on July 6th. I had my lap band on 7/22/04. Things were great for about a year. I lost about 50 lbs. Then I started having reflux, etc. My band has gone from being filled to 2.5 cc to only being able to BARELY tolerate .4cc and not losing any weight in about a year. I have had a couple of barium swallows and sounds like we have the same issues. The other issue I have is that whenever I eat the food sits in my esphogus like an elephant. My doc also said the only thing he could do was remove band and do rny. It took me a year to decide to do this. My feeling is this, if he were to go in and try to fix my band what if there is too much scar tissue etc? and he can't or what if it slips again. IMO I would rather go in and take the chance of rny and only one surgery then have him try to fix the slip, and maybe require another surgery later. This was not an easy decision, thus it took a year to convince me. I am extremly nervous but I know being fat again is not an option. Good luck in your decision and please pray for me that my surgery goes well
Most Active
Recent Topics