i-j bypass revision

jwildermuth
on 7/8/06 2:53 pm - Vista, CA
I had an i-j bypass in 1973. I lost over 200 pounds. Over the years I have put back on approximately 100 pounds and have been considering having a gastric bypass. My doctor who I think is great tells me I have to have the original surgery revised and then wait about 3 months for everything to be back in good working order before I have the gastric bypass. Has anyone had this done and how extensive is it. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks
Julie_Byrd
on 3/3/07 3:51 pm
I had a i-j bypass in 1978 - lost about 100 lbs and have put back on 75 down to 50 now that I am dieting pre surgery.  I will be having a RNY in 3 weeks due to abnormal liver functions.  A certain percentage of i-j patients will get cirhossis and I am already at stage 1 fibrosis so somthing needs to be done soon.  Please have your liver functions checked to make sure you are safe.  Other than the liver my only complaints are gas and odor. The weight gain was totally my fault because I have eaten pretty much everything I wanted over the years and I know if I didn't have the bypass I would be at least 100 lbs larger than I am now. They are going to take down the bypass and do the RNY and remove my gall bladder all at the same time.  I was warned that it can take up to 2 months for the atrophied intestines to kick back in.  My surgeon has been doing RNY since 1994 but I am only the 4th conversion he has done. I can't find any others like me so if you have heard from anyone please let me know.  Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics