hoping to find ppl that understand

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/06 10:52 am - Trail, Canada
arghhh, this isd my 3rd attempt at writing something, it keeps disapearing once I get to a certain point... so heres trying again I guess I need to give a bit of a background on me before I get into the main reason of writing I had a gastric bypass in dec 2000.  NO weight loss, severe stomach, abdominal pain ever since. (also had a hernia and GB taken out)  In April of 2005 I started seeing another surgeon. First words, no more surgery for you, I do not do RNY revisions, the risks are toooooo high. He stressed the words increased death a few times... so right there I was terrified and saddened. no more surgery... and if I found someone to do it, I could die, but I was dying being overweight.  anyways, the surgeon was good enough to order tests and preform a few himself.  In Sept of last year it was determined *BIG SHOCK* that.. I did NOT have the gastric bypass. I only had a VBG and even that wasn't done correctly. Pouch was too big, my staple line... almost non exsistant, just a lot of leaks..  so... the surgeon, made it clear that he was willing and able and more than happy to do my surgery!!!  BIG BIG weight off my shoulders well, I found out, this week I should be given my date for surgery!  could be weeks or a month, but... it looks like its going to happen sooner than later. and that... brings me to my main reason for writing.  How do I get over my fears of another surgery and the chances of going through this AGAIN only to fail? how do I get over such extreme fears of surgery in general?  I really had a bad experience being put to sleep in teh OR.  well over 50 pokes to get an IV... then ended up with a chest IV... when I got upset, the surgeon said "you asked for this"  I really am getting excited and terrified about everything now that its getting closer. I really am so worried. I know I'm not old, not even close, but I'm turning 30. I had my first surgery at 24 and was in SUCH better health. I'm just hoping there are some that have gone through something, even a bit similar that can help me. Betty
Linda_2001
on 9/21/06 6:29 am

Dear Betty, Hang in there. You are still young enough which means your odds are much better for success.  Do realize though, this is not a panacea. It will take great determination and a very clear realistic understanding of what this surgery really means.  I had the R&Y in 2001, lost nearly 100 lbs, and have gained all back and then some. So you see, I did not take the advise I am now giving you.  I am struggling and punishing myself everyday for sabotoging a perfectly wonderful opportunity that was given me.  Is it too late? I don't know. Have I stretched my stomach to the point of no return? I don't know that either. I share this information with you so you will not fall into the same lull of false security after the surgery is over and you start going about your everyday life. Do not make the mistake of thinking this is the magic pill we all want so badly. As we have all been told from the beginning, this surgery is a 'tool', not to be taken for granted or abused. Use it in the manner it is given and you will do just fine. You will be in my thoughts in the days to come. Best of everything Linda

arianna
on 9/25/06 9:15 pm - TN
 Good morning I came on this site to find out what causes people to have revisions. I am waiting for a date for my lap band  I go to see my surgeon this thursday hopefully for a date in next 2 weeks .I saw your post and my heart went out to you Are you having your band repositioned  and staple line redone?or are you having a lap band ? what does he exactly plan on doing that changed his mind? Is he going try and so it laproscopically?  I understand about poking around on your veins.. mine are all torn up from all my previous surgeries and it is a bad bad painful experience I dread it also.. Have you contacted your first surgeon to discuss just what kind of surgery he performed on you?? I wish you  the very best of luck and I sincerely hope  you do much better this time .... Arianna

6/01/07 60lblost 7/5/07 -65lbs!.9/10/07.70lb.lost Sept26..75lb lost.10/29/07 80lbslost!11/12/07 85lblost.

Cathy A.
on 9/29/06 1:38 am - Modesto, CA
I kind of look at it this way. If you had heart surgery and it failed would you just give up and not do anything about it. You did not fail your  wls did. Just make sure you have a good DR this time. I think a positive attitude is very important and will make your wls easier and safer.  I am having a revision and I would go today if they would let me I'm just counting the day until 10/27 Cathy
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/06 1:57 am - Trail, Canada
hehehe,... oct 27th will be my 30th bday, I've been begging the surgeon to let me have surgery that day. What could be better, give more hope and just enter a new phase of life... but, he wont. I have no idea when I'll get surgery. Canada SUCKS for wait lists, we just dont have the surgeons, but we do get a lot of other resourses covered most folks in the states dont, so wont complain that way. just frustrating waiting and being so scared. I just want on the other side and have the comfort of weight loss and know, this time it'll be amazing
Most Active
Recent Topics