LAP RNY to LAP DS?

CaseyinLA
on 9/28/06 8:07 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Hi.  It's been so long since I've posted.  I had RNY surgery in June, 2001.  I've only lost half the weight I should have.  My surgeon and I have been talking.  I'd like to be converted to a DS to help lose the remaining 200 lbs.  He is willing to do it, however, he prefers doing a Lap Band over the RNY pouch instead.  Ultimately, it will be the insurance company's decision, I guess, but I should love to hear from anyone else who has been in this situation.  Thanks so very much.  Cordially, Colleen Casey Brooks
Cathy A.
on 9/29/06 12:52 am - Modesto, CA
Hi Colleen, I am not a Dr but I think I would try the Band first because  being revised to the DS is very complicated and dangerous. I know people that have had the Band Added to RNY and have done very well thats why I will be Banded 10/27 and I can't wait.  Your Drs experience should help guide you why does he think the band is better. Good luck with what ever you decide. Cathy
pepperboy
on 9/29/06 8:13 am - oxnard, CA
DS is a more complicated surgery than RNY, but it is not dangerous....I guess it could be, if the doctor doesn't have much experience the DS, any surgery can have serious complications, and even sometimes for reasons unknown things go wrong even with the best of surgeons. I had the DS, but am not a revision, but the doctor ( Dr. Keshshian), that I had is very experienced w/ DS &  DS revisions. I myself would not want to settle for my second choice if, I didn't have to. I guess you could have the band placed, but if that didn't work or if you didn't like the restrictions that the RNY & band places on food choices etc, then you could have the DS, but that would then be a 3rd surgery. Why not check out the DS forum here or go to Dr. Keshishian at yahoo groups, there are a number of people that have had revisions. Good luck....Annie
Debbie B.
on 9/30/06 10:57 am - Valparaiso, IN
I just drove 4 hours and back to meet a wonderful woman who about 5 weeks ago was revised from RNY to the DS, and she looked WONDERFUL! She has had no complications at all. I'm having a revision in mid October from an Adjustable Gastric Band to DS, I want the surgery with the highest statistics for weight loss and maintenance.
                           D e b  
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/06 12:18 pm - TX
Colleen, I just had a revision from RNY to DS and I couldn't be happier with it.  A lot of doctors try to change "switch" their patients to what is easier for them.  Do your research on the DS and the band and once you see the failure rates compared side by side,  find a doctor who will give you what you want.  I didn't want another surgery which could fail me, which is why I went with the DS.  PS>  I am the Dawn that Debbie mentioned.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/06 4:08 am - Tuvalu
I cannot imagine adding the restrictions and potential problems of a band to the existing restrictions and problems of the RnY.  Some people do it, but I sure don't get it.  ALSO, I noticed that you have listed a surgeon who is NOT known to be very experienced with the DS.  If you are considering DS, visit www.duodenalswitch.com   to find one who is REALLY experienced. Sue
bandednomore
on 10/21/06 5:38 am - Charlestown, MD
Lap Band to DS here and I LOVE IT!  I wish you luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics