I GOT NOTIFIED - FINALLY APPROVED

mjgil
on 10/3/06 10:49 am - Chisholm, MN
I got notified today that the insurance company approved my revision. I am scheduled to have my RNY switched to DS on November 20.  I had my RNY in June 2003 and lost about 90 lbs.  About 1 1/2 yrs. ago, I started having problems with my blood sugar dropping.  I was always hungry, and just did not feel good. After testing, it was determined that the food was going through my pouch so fast, that it was causing the problems. My blood sugar has dropped as low as 24, and is usually between 40 and 100. The Doctor's determined that I needed to have a revision.  The insurance company (BC/BS) would not authorize the revision. I appealed the denial, they again denied it. My problems started getting worse.  I have passed out on 3 occassions.  One of the time, hurting myself quite badly. I saw an endrocrynologist, who did tons of testing.  He determined that I did need an revision, as the "Hyper - Hypoglycemia" as he called it, would only get worse. After submitting it to my insurance company again, with the Endrocrynologist's letter and a letter from my Doctor, the insurance company has finally approved the revision.  I am quite nervous about the surgery, as the Doctor did tell me that this would be the toughest surgery that I have gone through. I have gone through some pretty tough ones. Any comments, etc. would be appreciated. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/06 12:11 pm - TX
I am a revision from RNY to DS.  So glad you're approved but I'm concerned about your surgeon. He is not listed on duodenalswitch which has the most up to date, comprehensive list of DS surgeons available.  If you go to the DS forum or to www.duodenalswitch.com you can get more help.  A revision from RNY is a very complex surgery and you want a surgeon who is extrmely expreienced with revisions from RNY to DS.  Which is why I went to Dr. Husted/Dr. R. Rabkins in San Francisco although I live in IL.  My surgery took 5 hours even with their expertise.  I'm not trying to scare you, just want you to know how big a surgery this is. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/06 12:14 pm - TX
Here are two surgeons who might or might not be able to do this revision:

Henry Buchwald, MD, PhD E-mail: [email protected] Phone: 612-625-8446 Fax: 612-625-3206 420 Delaware Street S.E. Minneapolis, MN 55455 http://www.surg.umn.edu/gensurg/obes/buchwaldbio.htm http://www.surg.umn.edu/gensurg/obes/default.htm

Crystal Schlosser, MD, FACS Email: [email protected] Phone: 612-338-1100 Fax: 612-871-9580 Minneapolis Bariatric Surgeons 920 East 28th Street, Suite #180 Minneapolis MN 55407 http://www.mplsbariatric.com
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/06 12:15 pm - TX
I just looked at your surgeon and no where does it say he's done revisions.  I know you want this but please do your research before your revision.
Cathy A.
on 10/12/06 4:43 am - Modesto, CA
I choose to have the lap band added to my RNY because is is less invasive and I also have lots of scare tissue because I had a big operation for colon cancer in 1999. The Dr said I had lots of adhesions so I don't think a DS  is an option for me. I have friends that have had the band revision and they say its wonderful. So different from the first wls. No hunger anymore. The food just goes through my pouch also. I have started a new yahoo group RevisionBandsters if you are interested please join. Cathy
Edessa
on 3/10/08 11:42 pm - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi there - I have been reading about hypoglycemia as I believe I have it as well. And it looks like you and I have the same doctor. How're you doing? Were you able to have the revision to DS? I hope you are doing well. I'd love to hear more of your story. It sounds like you've been through the wringer with all of this.  I'd love to hear from you! -edessa
Most Active
Recent Topics