Revision Issues

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/06 9:15 am - Plano, TX
I had a revision done almost four months ago.  I originally had a VBG and had it revised to the RNY.  But the thing is, my doctor never seperated my stomach into two parts; he only stapled it.  This concerned me at the time, but I went with it, because I didn't want to wait and have to go through the whole process of finding a different doctor and getting approval all over again.  But I was concerned because the whole reason I got a revision from the VBG is because my staple line ruptured.  So now I have lost 67 lbs in almost four months.   But the past couple of days I feel like I can eat more than I should.  AND it doesn't feel like it's holding in my pouch.  Honestly, it feels like it's going into my normal stomach and not staying in my pouch.  I'm worried about the staples coming undone again.  Do you think I'm just being paranoid?   I have thrown up a few times, but it couldn't be helped.  I just had a difficult time with certain foods.  But I have learned what not to eat and I haven't had to throw up in quite a while.  I'm still not hungry, and sometimes I don't have an appetite.   Earlier today, when I was eating lunch, I did get full and felt it in my pouch.  Also, the same thing with breakfast, I got full off of one scrambled egg.  But tonight at dinner, I stopped myself when I thought it was enough, because I felt like I could eat more.  Plus, it didn't feel like it stayed in my pouch.  It felt like it went on through to my normal stomach.  I know that only an upper GI will be the way to tell 100%.  I just hate going through that.  Has anybody ever experienced this before?
blessed1
on 10/8/06 1:14 am - Pikesville, MD
Hi  Becky, I am scheduled for a Revision.  I had a RNY in 2003.  I am trying to understand what your surgeon did.  Was your stomach touched in your previous surgery.  In my previous surgery I stomach was cut/ made a pouch and resected to my intestine.  What did your surgeon do?
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/06 1:31 am, edited 10/8/06 1:35 am - Plano, TX
My surgeon did everything he was suppose to do for a RNY except cut my stomach.  He stapled it, rerouted my intestines, but did not seperate my stomach into two parts.  He said he doesn't believe in doing that because there's too much chance for leakage. It's really weird, because sometimes I do feel that full sensation when I eat.  But then sometimes I don't.  It feels like it's going straight on through.  I'm now wondering if I just have a stretched stoma.  I have to to tell you though, I don't know how I could have stretched my stoma.  I have been adamant about measuring my food and not overeating or eating the wrong things.  I have friends who are so bad with their surgeries, and they seem to get away with everything.  I've followed the rules to the letter. I guess I'm not going to worry unless I start getting really hungry.  Right now, I'm still not hungry and I'm still losing weight.  I just have to stop myself from eating more.  It has to be a mental thing to stop, where before I just couldn't take one more bite.  I may be making a mountain out of a mole-hill.  Because I've already been through one revision, I am so paranoid of screwing this up.  Maybe I just need to relax.
blessed1
on 10/8/06 3:50 am - Pikesville, MD

Becky, That might be true, you are just trying to do things right this time.  I have my pre-op meeting tommorrow.  I will ask questions, and I will be emailing my surgeon some questions today as well, he does reply and that's a good thing.   I asked him will he be revision my pouch as well as my intestine and he said he will be shaving my pouch if needed, what do that mean, and I guess I will be having another stomach.

How long was you in the hospital?  Was the recovery any different this time?

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/06 6:59 am - Plano, TX
I was in the hospital for five days.  Went in on Monday and out on Friday.  Good luck to you.
blessed1
on 10/8/06 7:39 am - Pikesville, MD

Hi Becky, Why were you in the hospital so long? 

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/06 1:30 pm - Plano, TX
That's the normal amount of time my doctor requires for this procedure.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/1/06 10:18 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Becky: Most surgeons do not separate the stomach in two parts when they do the RNY... most only staple.  Did your surgeon tell you he was going to do that? Just curious.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/06 7:59 am - Plano, TX
No that's not true at all.  Most surgeons do separate the stomach.  Every video I have seen, every picture and explaination of the procedure I have seen, they have separated the stomach.  Even the explaination and picture associated with this web site specifically shows the stomach separated into two parts.  My doctor just chooses not to do it that way, because he thinks it's dangerous.
Geminidream
on 11/3/06 10:53 am - Spokane, WA
Becky, thank you for these posts.  You addressed some really good issues for revision patients.   My vbg-to-rny is scheduled for December and when I go to the pre-op I'll ask my surgeon about the separation issue.  His brochures all show the rny with separation of pouch and stomach.  But none of his brochures show revision.    That you have really followed your program and still feel like you could fit more food in is also good to hear.  I felt that way after the vbg but without others to get advice from it felt like I'd failed the surgery.  Now it is good to know that this is just something that has to be dealt with and to expect it is reassuring in a weird way.  Seems like my best bet is to make maximum progress during the 'honeymoon period' and then plan to have motivation strategies ready for when the really hard work begins.    I got a 2007 datebook and wrote in a lot of self-pep talks and ideas for times when it might get tough.  Am SO looking forward to losing weight and feeling healthier.  Last time I focused too much on size and not enough on health.  Not this time....I'm older and hopefully a little wiser. Molly
Most Active
Recent Topics