Revision of DS/stomach too big?

bavalon
on 10/10/06 9:23 am - Berkeley, CA
I am new to this forum and hope I can get some info here.  I had a DS with Drs. Rabkin and Jossart November 27, 2000.  I lost quickly and did great.  But the past couple of years I have gained about 40 pounds (never did get to my goal weight, tho) and am worried that I will keep gaining.  I have consulted with Dr. Jossart and he wis willing to do a revision of my pouch/stomach, to make it smaller. Has anyone else done this?  I have been reading about people having a lap band added to their RNY, or revision from RNY to DS, but haven't really seen anything about a DS revision. Additionally, I have issues with my insurance.  There is only doctor/surgeon they use for WLS and he only does the RNY.  He has referred me out of network for my revision, but the insurance company says they won't pay for it, because it is out network (even though the in network doctor won't do it and says I need to see a doctor/surgeon who is familiar with the DS).  I feel like I'm going around in circles! Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated... B in Berkeley, CA
Ann W.
on 3/7/07 12:26 pm - Manchester, NH
I am not sure about revisions but I can give you a hint about insurance companies, I use to work for one. Ask the in-network physician to write a letter of medical necessity, naming the out of network physician he is referring you to. Basically, if you can get the in-network doctor to state he feels it is medically necessary for you to see this other physician and there are no other alternatives. They may reconsider and grant you an in-network exception. There is no guarantee but it's worth a shot. Good luck!!!!  Ann, New Hampshire
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/07 10:06 pm - TX

I have heard of others needing their stomach trimmed.  My surgeon, Dr. Husted just joined Dr. Jossart's practice and he is extremely experienced with revision surgery.  He revised me from RNY to DS in Aug.  I've had no complications.

Good luck. 

Most Active
Recent Topics