Open vs. Laparascopic

Amie S.
on 10/12/06 12:33 am
I am just wondering how many of you that have had revision had your first procedure done open and the second (revision) done laparascopically and if you can recommend a doctor that does it this way? I had VBG OPEN 8 years ago and would like to have a revsion done, however would prefer to do it Laparscopically to avoid the recovery time.   There is one doctore in IL that I know of that does it, however he requires a $9,000 prepayment before surgery, even though my insurance company has agreed to pay him (whole other story).  Anyway any opinions would be greatly  appreciated...
Mary *.
on 10/12/06 11:25 am - TX
I live a long way from you, but I was just approved for a revision VBG to Lap RNY. My surgeon states that I have a 1 in 4 chance of converting to open simply because I have had the previous open VBG. Open procedures tend to create more adhesions. Adhesions make Laparoscopic surgery more difficult, but absolutely not impossible. Keep looking for another surgeon.  Good Luck, Mary
Mary

katiyor
on 10/14/06 4:50 am - Gurnee, IL
Dr Frantzides did my revision from VBG to RNY 9/25/06.  He is very very thorough and I have never recovered from major surgery [4 on my abdomen] so quickly.  I don't know about any money issues with him as he was pd through my HMO. I have been out and wlking since day3 after surgery, out to dinner 4 days after surgery and continue to improve every day.  His staff has been very helpful also. k
Debbie B.
on 11/14/06 6:55 am - Valparaiso, IN
I'm having a revision end of this month from a band years ago that was an open surgery to an open DS. Personally I only wanted open as I want my surgeon to be able to view my insides better since this is a more risky surgery since it's a revision. Good luck to you!
                           D e b  
Most Active
Recent Topics