Pouch strectch?!?!?

rjswiatek
on 10/25/06 11:28 am - Twin Lake, MI
Help, I think I have stretchd my pouch,  I had my surgery on May 2 of 06. I do I know and can I fix it if I did?  I am very scared!
Geminidream
on 10/28/06 5:50 am - Spokane, WA
Did your nutritionist have you read 'Pouch Rules for Dummies' ?  Mine did and it was very enlightening...especially regarding the issue of pouch stretching.  You are nearly at 6 months out and my surgeon says that is when the pouch is healed and is going to begin stretching naturally.  Maybe you are just healed early, no doubt you will speak to your surgeon about  this out at your 6 mo. check-up.   If you haven't read that 'essay' (?) look it up on the internet through any search engine.  I imagine that at six months I'm going to have the same panic about stretching and will be using the water loading technique to help me control my hunger and keep my portions smaller.  Wish I'd had this kind of help years ago after my VBG.   Good luck to you, hope you feel more in control of the situation soon. Molly
slickgt
on 10/29/06 1:40 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
Hi, I had my RNY in May 2005.  Lost 150 pounds in the first six months.  Since month 7 I haven't lost another pound.  I told my doctors that I could eat more and more and they told me not to worry about it and to load up with water too.  That didn't work.  Here it is a year later and I'm still able to eat way too much and not losing.  In fact, I've recently started gaining. I am seeing my original RNY surgeon on 11/10 to talk about a revision.  I wanted to have endoscopic suturing (sp?) but my insurance will not approve it as they view it as experimental.  I am going to talk to my surgeon about being banded or see what other options I have.   My advice to you is not to wait as long as I did.  Keep complaining and complaining if you feel things aren't going right.  I had an upper GI scope recently and it showed the opening between my pouch and intestines to be 14mm.  Not sure if that is big or not.  They told me my pouch hasn't stretched.  All I know is I can eat as much food as I did pre-surgery and I am hungry 1-2 hours after eating again. Good luck to you
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/06 8:58 am - Brooklyn Park, MN
I am in exactly the same boat as you.  In fact I could have written your post verbaitim.  I lost 160 lbs then stopped for 2 years and have now gained 50 lbs back.  I had the upper GI two weeks ago, met with the dietician and the internist and dietician agree that a revision is in order.  I have my psych on Tuesday.  I'm hoping that insurance will cover something...
misstish
on 11/12/06 12:52 pm - West Bend, WI
How did your appointment go with your doctor on 11/10/06?  I am 2 years out - very unsuccessful. Gained back 3/4 of my weight. I had a question:  did your surgeon do the endoscopy?  because I know mine was  leary about another dr doing a scope because they can stretch things out however he didn't say he would do it. He is a vascular surgeon & I see him on Wednesday. I am SEARCHING for info from people who gained & can eat.  What to do?  Thanks, Jackie.WI.
Deanne K.
on 11/4/06 10:39 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, I had an EGD done on Thursday with a Gastroenterologist here in Tucson.  He has alot of experience with bypass patients.  He told me that the opening from the esophagus to my pouch is too big.  Does anyone have and reasons why this happens?  Was this a failure of the surgeon or in how my body stretched? I have always been able to eat more than anyone that I know that has had this surgery.  I am just about 2 years out.  I did lose 100 lbs, but am starting to gain again.  I can eat mostly like a normal person now.  I know it is more than 1-1/2 cups of food.  I can recall eating an 8 oz steak,  potaoto and vegetable and a slice of bread and just getting the full signal then.  I have never really had the full signal very early on when eating. Does anyone have any idea what I can expect to hear from my surgeon's office?  They basicially have disowned me and my problems, so I went to the gastro doc without their knowledge with the blessing of my PCP.  I am just afraid that they will blow me off again.
Most Active
Recent Topics