Happy with Lap-band to RNY revision but..........

Nicole *.
on 10/28/06 3:20 am
Hello everyone: I am 5 months post-op of a Lap-band to RNY revision and I have lost 88 lbs to date so far. My question to everyone is if anyone has expirenced arm numbness, increased brusing and MAYJOR hair loss. We are not talking a little in the brush, I have lost half my hair. I know this cause of my pony tail thickness. The one I am mostly worried about is the arm numbness. I have had my complete blood work done and all my levels are perfect. Any suggestions? Nicole
LauraMc
on 10/28/06 4:16 pm - Jefferson, LA
If your levels are okay you must be taking your vitamins but are you taking B12 and getting enough protein. My surgeon told me it takes more than a year for your levels to drop and then they will drop dramatically if you aren't taking supplements.  My hair fell out really bad after 6 months and I was taking B12 but not getting enough protein. So I increased my protein to 70 gms a day. I also was having numbness but I think it might have been carpal tunnel. But I started taking a B1 vitamin and a multivitamin with iron. After three months, for the first time in my life I wasn't anemic. I was surprised I could absorb the iron. My B1 level was so high that the nurse practitioner said to quit taking it but I felt so good that I still take it three days a week. The doctor said a high B1 level won't hurt anything so if it makes me feel good to keep taking it.  Another tip, he told me when your hair falls out, it's not necessarily what you are doing now. If you weren't getting enough protein daily three months ago, you could be feeling the effects of that now.
mikkozoe
on 11/14/06 8:09 pm - Conyers, GA
The first few months after my RNY i had tons of hair loss and i still bruse easly ....And i do take my vitiams and B12 shots twice a month i think that is just something that comes with the surgery .... I am the reverise of you and i just got a lap band put on over my rny LOL Laura
Diminishing Dawn
on 12/1/06 9:54 pm - Windsor, Canada
I am 5 months out and have some loss now in the hair department. I find that when I get out of the shower, and brush through, because of the knottiness of my hair I would lose quite a bit of hair. I decided to get a shorter bob so that I would no longer have that problem when brushing out my hair. I'm noticing now that I'm losing alot less hair. I figure it should stop soon as everyone says...but my hair just couldn't stand that pulling with the brush and would have breakage. The arm numbness thing doesn't sound like it would be related to the rny. I would think it would be something more like nerve damage which is pretty common. I have a coworker who has gone through that and had some testing done. I'd talk to your doctor and see if maybe you should see a nerve doctor. Dawn
Most Active
Recent Topics