Need to talk to Surgeon soon

Deanne K.
on 11/4/06 10:09 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, I had an EGD done on Thursday with a Gastroenterologist here in Tucson.  He has alot of experience with bypass patients.  He told me that the opening from the esophagus to my pouch is too big.  Does anyone have and reasons why this happens?  Was this a failure of the surgeon or in how my body stretched? I have always been able to eat more than anyone that I know that has had this surgery.  I am just about 2 years out.  I did lose 100 lbs, but am starting to gain again.  I can eat mostly like a normal person now.  I know it is more than 1-1/2 cups of food.  I can recall eating an 8 oz steak,  potaoto and vegetable and a slice of bread and just getting the full signal then.  I have never really had the full signal very early on when eating. Does anyone have any idea what I can expect to hear from my surgeon's office?  They basicially have disowned me and my problems, so I went to the gastro doc without their knowledge with the blessing of my PCP.  I am just afraid that they will blow me off again.
Geminidream
on 11/4/06 11:37 am - Spokane, WA

Deanne, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems.   Have you done the cottage cheese test?  You can find the instructions for it through a search engine.  When I did it recently I was distressed to see I was at 1 1/2 cups capacity.  However, in 'Pouch Rules for Dummies' the doctor/author says that is about what to expect of pouch size at full healing.  (can't remember how far out he said that was)   Your surgeon must not have a support group?  Mine does and it is very comforting to see other patients of his who are three and five years out from their surgery and still attending...lets me know his staff cares about our long-term success.  I wish you had that kind of feeling.  Did the gastroenterologist say he was sending a copy of his report to the surgeon?  If not, I don't see why the surgeon would contact you at all.  And if he is not supportive, he'll likely just blame the stretching on you.  If you haven't read it already, do look up 'Pouch Rules for Dummies'.  It is all over the internet, easy to find and full of good information even if it does have an insulting title. 

Neither my esophogus or band is very stretched from my vbg.  At the time of my surgery I had GERD and the surgeon 'wrapped' the esophagus for me so I sort of have two bandings in place.  It never really cured the heartburn but it did reduce it as well as making it extremely difficult to throw up when I had flu, food stuck or overate.  Personally I don't recommend it but...YMMV.

Hope you will be able to get some help from your PCP or find a local support group.  It is so helpful to be able to meet with other people face to face to deal with similar issues and help keep each other motivated.

Molly

Deanne K.
on 11/4/06 11:59 am - Tucson, AZ

Molly, My surgeon does have a support group a couple times a month.  She does groups quarterly in Tucson where I live.  I do attend a local support group here as well. My surgeon lost her other 2 surgeons recently and she is on her own again.  I think I might have the book, I will have to look at the one I have in my desk at work. 

My PCP ordered me to go to the Gastroenterologist as the surgeon's office was of no help.  I have been trying to get their attention for months.  You can't get in to see the surgeon, I only get to see the NP's.   I have made multiple trips to Scottsdale to see them.  They just send me back to my PCP and told me to have him look at my meds as that must be what is causing my problems.   They said that everything that I was experiencing was not because of the surgery.  Well, I think that I know better now.  I am going to try to get a copy of the report to take with me.  My PCP should get a copy, but if not, I will call the gastro dr. and get a copy faxed to me, so I can take it up myself.  My friend who had surgery the same day says that I should demand to see the surgeon, but I don't know if they will give me an appointment or not.    Sometimes I don't think the surgeon knows what's going on in her own office sometimes.  One of the NP's was shocked to hear so many people from Tucson felt abandonded and that they were "divorcing" themselves from them as the 100 mile trips up there were of no help for them to just weigh you and send you on your way.  They want to see you monthly. 

Geminidream
on 11/5/06 12:03 pm - Spokane, WA

Deanne, it isn't a book it is sort of a long pamphlet that a doctor wrote or maybe call it an essay.  Can't believe how much trouble you have getting to see the surgeon.    From the schedule I saw in my info packet I know that not all my post-op appointments are with the surgeon so I guess that is true for all doctors but certainly if there is a problem like you are experiencing then the surgeon should be seen. 

Good for you getting your own copy of the gastro's report so they won't have any excuse not to discuss this with you.  I agree with your friend, you should demand to see the surgeon especially since you have already followed their protocol of seeing your pcp and checking those meds.  It looks like the ball is back in the surgeon's court so to speak.  Best of luck to you...post here when you get to see her and let us know what she says.

Molly

Deanne K.
on 11/16/06 12:25 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, Wanted to update you.  My Surgeon's office told me that I am receiving no benefit any longer from my RNY surgery.  My anastamosis is too large.  It is 17mm and should be 8-10mm.  The food just comes out the other end.  Well, I see the surgeon on Jan. 2nd to see what can be done. Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/06 2:43 am - TX
Same thing happened to me.  I chose to revise to a DS after the RNY failed.  I didn't want another surgery that could fail again. Not trying to be pushy but you should look into the DS as a revision since the RNY fails so many people and has more mechanical ways to fail. Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics