is it too soon for a revision

liteweight ohio
on 11/14/06 12:51 am - Cleveland Area, OH
hi, - 5 months out and i've lost about 35 lbs.  what the heck can be wrong.  even with lacking protein shouldn't i have lost more than this?   when is it too soon to inquire about a revision? starting weight 256 current 221 june 7th Lap RNY
katiyor
on 11/15/06 12:35 am - Gurnee, IL

felicia

I suspect that you aren't losing weight because you aren't getting the protein -- are there other things in your program you're not doing also?  Like exercising?   This is from the directions my surgeon gave me:        "You need at least 60 grams of protein each day.  To get that amount of protein, you must have some protein at each meal.  Your body uses protein for repair {and needs more after surgery}.  If you don't eat enough protein, your body will use its own muscles as a protein source." If you can't work the program, nothing will work for you.  The problem with a revision from an RNY, I think,  is that the next procedure could be much more dangerous -- ie:  you could lose so much weight that you starve to death.   Also, it takes your body at least a full year to recover from surgery, so you really don't want to have surgery again within a year unless there is a very very serious reason for it. Good luck and I hope this helps you some kat

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/06 2:45 am - TX
Have you ruled out mechanical failure of your RNY?  Is your stoma too big?  Do you vomit frequently, if so, you could have staple line disruption. Read my profile if you'd like to see the reasons I chose to revise to a DS rather than another RNY. 3 months out, I'm so glad I did!~
BQL
on 11/26/06 9:39 pm
HiI had a lap RNY in 1997, but I was forced to travel 6 hours to Pittsburgh, to a doctor who had done only 9 other lap RNYs. Within 6 weeks of my surgery, just when the swelling was going down, I could eat 3 eggs and 3 pieces of toast without any discomfort.  I called my surgeon in a panic, and he refused to return my call.  The nurse finally relayed the message that I "must be eating too much." (!!!! No kidding--that's what the surgery is supposed to prevent! They didn't operate on my brain!).  I have always believed that I have an enlarged stoma, bolstered by the results of an X-ray done using really thick oatmeal mixed with barium; the radiologist said my pouch is still very small, but the oatmeal went right through immediately.  I can eat anything I want, really, and the only thing that helps are antidepressants.   I just know my stoma is way too big,  but I was told "that happens sometimes" when I wrote to another surgeon.  He said revisions are riskier than the original RNY, and there's nothing that could be done for an enlarged stoma.  (This was probably 5 or 6 years ago, and now I see others have the same problem).  I went from 279 to 189 in a year, but then started gaining.  I have been as high as 220 recently, but am now around 215. If I get an endoscopy and it shows that my stoma is much larger than it should be, do you think I would qualify for a revision?  According to the BMI index, I'm only 33.5, or mildly obese.  Do I have to be back up to morbidly obese before they'll help me?  My insurance company has said it would now follow the recommendations of this panel: http://www.mass.gov/dph/betsylehman/panel_summary.htm It says that revisions should be covered, but it doesn't say how obese you must be to get one.   Does anyone know if they'll do a revision for someone like me?  I had pretty much given up hope 5 years ago, but am still fuming that my surgeon might have made a mistake.  Does an enlarged stoma just happen, or could it have been avoided?   Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was just trying to decide which health insurance plan to pick and saw their stance on bariatric surgery and a spark of hope ignited.   I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me; I get so depressed when I gain weight that I don't want to go anywhere.  If I weren't on antidepressants, I know I'd balloon up to 250 or more in no time.   Thank you! I'm very glad to have found this forum. 
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 1/14/07 4:29 am
Not a question to ask unless you can honestly say you are doing the following: Minimum of 64 oz. of non-carbonated, non-caffenated beverages a day. Minimum of 70 grams of protein daily. Eating between 28-42 grams of fat per day. not exceeding 11 gr. per meal. Not grazing.  Eating 6 small meals spaced 2-3 hours apart. Exercising daily. Calorie Level is not exceeding your surgeons recommendation. Carbs are not exceeding 100 gr. daily or 30% of your daily intake. Taking your vitamins and supplements daily. If you are doing this consistently and having no loss, start a food journal and take it to your Nutritionist and ask for advice of what the cause is.  Honestly record what you are putting in your mouth. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active
Recent Topics