upset with RNY results, but do i even qualify for a revision ?

bkaszubski
on 12/5/06 4:29 pm - Elmhurst, IL

It's just been over two years since I had my RNY. Right from the start I didnt loose as much as I would have liked. From December 3rd (day of surgery) to August I lost 75 pounds. I got pregnant in September of 2005 and just had the baby six months ago, in May. Right now I am over my pre-pregnancy weight by about ten pounds. I am trying to diet, to exersize and I'm not moving on the scale. Before getting pregnant my weight loss had stalled at 163 no matter what I did. Right now, I am 169-174 ... fluctuating back and forth. I'm frustrated because thats way to much for my height, I'm only 5'1.  I'm concerned because I can eat alot more now, but I also am constantly hungry. I dont think thats so much from having been pregnant because these problems started BEFORE the pregnancy, but I couldnt do anything about it while pregnant so I waited until after the baby came. I went and saw my surgeon who didnt think much of it. He said I just had a baby and since I've maintained this weight right now, that he thinks i've done good. I'm not satisfied at all with my results, I'm concerned why nothing seems to bring my weight down any more.  I will eat and an hour or two later, I'm literally hungy again, sometimes for more then just a little snack too. I dont know what to do, I want to loose the rest of this weight, but i'm not sure if i can even qualify for a revision of any type being 170 pounds ????  what do you think ?  i'm really upset that my surgeon isant more willing to talk to me about all of this, but he was completly of no help. i'm just upset because this was alot to go through to be disappointed. and i knew it wouldnt be a breeze but i've tried what he's told me. i dont know what else to do, is this where it stops now, at 170 pounds ? sure that doesnt seem like its so bad to some people, but on my 5'1 frame,  its still overweight.  any advice ?

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/06 6:28 am - TX
I don't know the answer to your question.  You might try calling some revision surgeons and asking their insurance coordinators.
DDBEAR458
on 12/12/06 11:57 pm - WORCESTER, MA
I THOUGHT RNY WAS PERMANENT.  WHEN YOU SAY A REVISION, WHAT COULD YOU MEAN...THAT THEY'D SEW YOUR BELLY BACK ON?  WHEN THEY CUT IT...THEY CUT IT.....IT'S GONE.  MAYBEY YOU MEAN THE LAP BAND?  I WOULDN'T DO THE LAP BAND.  IT'S A FOREIGN OBJECT IN YOUR BODY THAT THINGS COULD GROW ON.  I THINK YOU SHOULD LISTED TO YOUR DOCTOR...HE'S THE EXPERT.   I DON'T KNOW BUT MAYBE YOUR "HEAD" HUNGRY. 
GrannyLaLa
on 12/17/06 9:17 am - South,, AR
Out of my 2+ years I've NEVER heard of anything growing on a band?  Now I know that where your bowels are cut you can grow scarred skin that will connect your insides together and a lot of people will need to have this removed (adhesions).  And I don't really see the difference between lapband being a foreign object and staples being foreign.  Also your insides are cut up and rerouted.  Just depends on your outlook, you know?

Glitter Text

DDBEAR458
on 12/17/06 11:21 pm - WORCESTER, MA
i couldn't see the difference between staples and the band as far as foreign body either, but i asked my doctor and he explained it to me.  of course, he's the expert and i ccan't relay what he said but it did make sense to me. 
GrannyLaLa
on 12/18/06 10:47 am - South,, AR
I'm going to ask the older Bandsters if they had heard of this. Freaks me out!

Glitter Text

Richard
on 12/18/06 12:50 pm - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
It always makes me laugh when RNYers talk about the band being a "foreign object".  After RNY surgery you have more foreign objects in your body than after LapBand surgery.

north_pole_300pix.jpgMe at the North pole

SandyR
on 12/18/06 12:13 pm - Portland, OR
Dear RNY sisters -  The band is not a foreign object in our bodies, any more than The RNY metal staples and internal sutures are foreign bodies. . All of these are surgically-sterilized, and completely  safe.  Things do not "grow" on the band! LOL!!    and I'm afraid the RNY is not "permanent" - nor is the Band "permanent". Both can and do have potential problems, and we can do poorly, regain, or get into serious trouble that requires a band removal or a bypass reversing or revision. Ther are rules and guidelines we all must follow forever, to do well - whether we choose a band or a bypass to assist our weight loss. The best to all of you - Sandy R, RN, MN Banded 4 yrs, at goal x 3 yrs

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
Nancy Degenmeister
on 12/18/06 5:08 pm - Bergen County, NJ
Things can "grow on" the band? I'm sorry but that's probably the single most ignorant statement I've heard about the band in over 5 years on numerous boards. Common sense should tell you that's not possible. And if your doctor said something like that? Well, I'd run screaming from a doctor who was that ignorant about a well-known procedure or was willing to lie that much to get patients to go another way... Nancy
Kryst
on 1/3/07 10:52 pm - NYC, NY
Ok, You lost me here... The RNY does NOT REMOVE your stomach..  It is sutured off to make a small pouch.. The stomach is STILL there and can still work.. I think what your talking about is the DS, as this type of wls removes a portion of your stomach. The RNY does not remove any part of your stomach, just sutures it off is all.. I'm an RNYer and  going for revision to DS.. A revision can be done. Also, I've never heard anything "growing" on someones band.
Most Active
Recent Topics