Do you loose weight with revision??

msnd67
on 12/8/06 6:04 am - Gilbert, AZ

Hi, I'm scheduled to have a RNY revision in 2 weeks from a vertical band that I had years ago. Now I have been hearing that you really don't loose as much weight with a revision. Is that true? I appreciate any comments

Cheryl C.
on 12/9/06 12:07 am - hayward, CA
hI, I had a RNY in 2001 with open revision in 2003 here in the states due to hernia and ulcer.  This resulted in enlarged stoma.  Doctor denied this, but enterologist confirmed.  I have had 2 revisions in Mexico, with a very skilled doctor, one with a salistic ring, and the last one supposedly was to repair my anastomosis. All I have done is regain.  I have gained 60lbs since May of 2005.  I am trying to have it fixed properly, but many docs in the states do not want to bother.  Sorry for the news.  I am looking for someone with success with endoscopic suturing as a revision alternative.  Cheryl
katiyor
on 12/9/06 12:42 am - Gurnee, IL

Hi

I had a VBG around 10 years ago and lost 100# more or less -- On 9/25 I had an RNY and have lost 35 so far.  My surgeon tells me that I should lose @ 80% of my excess weight in the next two years -- so long as I continue to exercise and follow his directions as to diet.  I absolutely trust my surgeon -- and he has had this surgery !!! That tells me he knows where I am at. Some of the people in my support group with revisions from other types to RNY have had successful goal weights for 3 -5 years.  So My feeling was that as long as I keep my goals realistic and keep with the program I will be successful .  The goals I set for myself are: -If I stop vomiting and getting nausea -- that would be enough If I lose the first 20 pounds -- that would be enough If I lose 70 pounds -- that would be enough If I get to goal weight -- that would be fantastic So I urge you to set your own goals, find adequate support and wish you good luck and Happy Holidays kat

msnd67
on 12/9/06 12:55 pm - Gilbert, AZ

Hi Kat, Thanks so much for you words of wisdom, LOL I think your right if I set my goals and stick with it I will be sucessful. I get a little scared reading all the horror stories on this website.  My first goal will also be to stop vomiting. :)

Have a Very Happy Holiday and if you could say a little prayer for me on the 20th.

Thanks, Sandi

Linnrr
on 12/13/06 9:04 am - San Juan Capistrano, CA
I had my revision 4/2006.......It is very slow for me.I am down 60 pounds and 40-50 to go. My surgery was a RNY open since I had the scar from before.I am disappoited but like some of the other replys I am also glad I did it.Only thing now is my constant potty issues.Good Luck. Linda in Ca
luckycat1
on 12/13/06 11:14 am - Cincinnati, OH
I had lap rny revision on 3/2/06.  I have lost 156 lbs since surgery.  I had my stomach stapled in the late 80's. Good luck MJ
Tonia Loveslife
on 12/14/06 6:31 am - Port Neches, TX
I went from lap band to rny and I have lost 80 lbs in 7 months. Good luck!

Tonia Loveslife! -115 lbs!

janicel
on 12/18/06 10:34 pm - Dunedin, FL
In Feb 05 I had a revision from a VBG (1984) to RNY. I lost like crazy for the first 8 months for a total of about 90 lbs then I hit a wall. My total loss has been about 100 lbs. I'd like to lose about 20 more but that may never happen but that's OK. I'm so much better than I was before. Like most RNYer this far out I have to be very careful because I can now eat just about anything and as much of it as I want. So it's all up to me now to make heatly choices to maintain my weight loss.  So I think is is probably true that us folks that get revisions may not lose as much weight as the "virgins" so make the most of your early months. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have followed my eating plan more closely and exercised more early on in my journey.  Good luck Janice
AMYLU
on 12/19/06 1:46 am - Conroe, TX
I HAD THE VBG IN 1996 AND LOST 110 POUNDS, GAINED BACK ALL BUT 30 OF IT. HAD MY REVISION TO RNY 6-12-06 AND I HAVE LOST 45 POUNDS. I STILL HAVE ABOUT 45 TO GO TO GET TO MY GOAL. IT IS SLOW. I THOUGHT I WOULD LOSE LIKE A WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY VIRGIN AND SET UNREALISTIC GOALS FOR MYSELF AND THAT HAS CAUSED SOME FRUSTRATION. THING TO REMEMBER IS YOU HAD A DIFFERENT SURGERY SINCE IT IS A REVISION AND THE RESULTS WILL NOT BE THE SAME. JUST HANG IN THERE, AND KNOW THAT SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE. AND EXERCISE, I HAVE NOT BEEN THAT GOOD AT THAT. ON THE REAL BRIGHT SIDE, I DONT THROW UP ANYMORE AND THAT IS A BLESSING. AMY
kevin_957
on 1/17/07 11:11 pm
hi, i'm going to have my rny revision on 1/30/07. i was just wondering how you are you doing?
Most Active
Recent Topics