LapBand to RNY?!

wtfsamantha
on 12/10/06 4:01 am
I am new here, this is my first post, I am not sure if I am completley posting in the correct forum but it seemed the most appropriate. I am pretty much in a state of loss and confussion. After having my LapBand for almost 2 years, I haven't lost much weight. And I had some complications (my port sutures came un done this september, it caused the port to flip over therfore forcing the saline in the banding to one side COMPLETLEY restricting any food to be digested). I am currently feeling the same pains and extream discomfort as I was when the port flipped. I am making an appointment to see the suregon who fixed the issue (he wasn't my inital suregon do to health insurance changes). But, at the time I had my inital surgery I was pretty much only given the LapBand as the one option of surgery. The doctor pressed that it would be best for me since I was so young (I was 17 at the consultation and 18 when I had the surgery) my skin and body would most likely come back on its own instead of having issues with sagging skin and what not. I didn't believe that, I knew RNY was the best option for me. I had read a lot of information before the inital surgery saying that you really need to pick the right surgery for you. The banding CLEARLY wasn't right for me. I tried to explain to the doctor, to my family and friends that I knew in my gut the banding wasn't the option for me, I was told "you just want to loose weight faster thats why you want the bypass, you aren't really concerned about your health". Which was clearly proven wrong, since the health issues I do have,  are all brought of by being obese and the surgery I had and worked with to loose the weight didn't work. So when I go back to see my new bariatric suregon about my band I think I am going to bring up my concerns about this not being the right surgery for me, my concerns with the banding issues reoccuring, and my biggest concern being my over all health, I am freakishly healthy for someone of my weight but I am clearly aware that with in the next 10 to 15 years I am going to gain weight and gain health issues and i don't want to let me being extreamly over weight be the death of me. I am sorry this is so long, but has anyone gone from lapband to RNY? what the likely hood would be for me to get approved by my health insurance (Kaiser) for an RNY? would it be a negative reflection on me getting approved since I've already had a form of WLS? Theres so many thoughts I have running through my head on this. I am just really looking for others opinions.
Tonia Loveslife
on 12/13/06 1:40 pm - Port Neches, TX
I had my band removed and had the rny. The band slipped once and had to have it fixed. I constanly had reflux so I really needed to take it out because it is not safe to have acid shooting out your nose while you are trying to sleep. I had the band for over 2 years and lost abut 40 lbs. It was a very bad experience for me. As your insurance goes, if you are having problems they might take it tou and do a revision. I didn't have any problem with mine but I have diff. insurance. Good luck! Tonia

Tonia Loveslife! -115 lbs!

castmar
on 1/31/07 10:35 pm - Jackson Hts, NY
HELLO TANIA!! I AM IN YOUR SAME SITUATION I HAD MY BAND ON SEPTEMBER OF 2005 AND MY WEIGHT LOSS IS VERY SLOW ONLY LIKE 50 POUNDS IN ONE YEAR AND HAVE I AM THINKING TO HAVE THE RNY CAN YOU EMAIL ME PLEASE MY EMAIL IS [email protected] THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT                                                         DEBBIE FROM NYC
Most Active
Recent Topics