RNY Revision - never got to goal

rockstarchar
on 12/13/06 10:22 pm
Hi all, here's the story. I had LAP RNY on 7/5/03 at 355 lbs. Within a year or so, I'd lost down to 240; however, I let old habits creep back in, and I'm not back up to 320. It breaks my heart, but I don't know if a revision would be feasible. I don't think my surgeon did anything wrong, he's the best one in town and has done countless successful surgeries. Do you have to have something not done right initially in order to have a revision? What are the risks? Thanks, Charlene
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/06 5:33 am - TX
The failure rate of the RNY is precisely the reason I had a revision from RNY to DS.  I absolutely love my DS and it comes without the pitfalls of the RNY.  No dumping.  No strictures.  No vomiting.  No food getting "stuck".  Just weight loss. Good luck to you.
NotsoTubbyAnymore
on 12/25/06 7:30 am - MO
Hi, Can you tell me more about the revision from RNY to DS? I've only lost 100 pounds  since 2004 of Sept, and I've been moving back and forth from 25 pounds ever since. I went in at 360. I'm right now at 285, and I'm scared to death that I won't get it off. Maybe the DS is the way to go? KCS
janay1958
on 12/25/06 8:50 am - Caseville, MI
Can you tell me what a DS is?  I am also not sure what a revision is but I think I may know..just curious...Sue
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/06 11:40 pm - TX

A revision is a revised surgery of your original, whether it be a fix of your broken surgery or a completely different WLS. 

You can read more about DS by going here:  http://obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,535 7/ or here: www.duodenalswitch.com

beth75
on 1/4/07 10:25 am - Brownsboro, AL
I too had inadequate weight loss with the RNY and had a revision to the DS.  Starry and I had it within days of each other by the same experienced surgeons and have had no complications and great success.  Since August she has lost over 6o# and I have lost 55# without the food restrictions of the pouch.  Check out the sited she told you about.  The DS has a greater weight loss record and a lower regain record.  Please research before you invest both financially, physically and emotionlally in another surgery.  I think you'll find the DS is the way to go.
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

Most Active
Recent Topics