Anyone ever heard of a Peterson Hernia

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/07 11:27 am - The land of the Sooners
Have you ever heard of a peterson hernia? I had surgery 4 years ago and am looking into a revision however the surgeon feels i have a peterson hernia but not as serious as many but will require a Lap Explortary surgery to see what's going on. The surgeon office called Friday and want me to have a sleep test as well as ekg, chest xray lots of lab work, see a shrink, a dietician for a 3 months supervised diet and have to join a group for people that have gained and had complication from surgery. I also had a baby a year ago and went on the depo shot after and gained 41 pounds in 3 months and was told there was no way that it was possible surgeon told me yes its very possible has a lot of patient who have had babys and went on the shot and gained weight. The good thing is he said i haven't failed..

Anyways here is what i found out about peterson hernia's but was wondering if any of you have had one

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT A POTENTIALLY DEVASTATING LATE COMPLICATION AFTER GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY:

March, 2006

To All   Post-Gastric Bypass Patients:

This message is for all of patients who have undergone gastric bypass (weight reduction) surgery.  It is to inform you that a small percentage of patients who have undergone this type of surgery will develop severe abdominal pain due to internal hernias.  This condition is called a Petersen’s hernia and must be treated surgically on an emergency basis. 

When patients lose a significant amount of weight, the fatty tissues in the abdomen decrease in size.  In some patients, the position of the intestine can shift within the abdomen and become twisted and obstructed. 

If you should develop abdominal pain you must seek medical attention immediately.  Petersen’s hernia can be successfully treated and full recovery is to be expected.  Time is of the essence however.  If there is a delay in diagnosis and treatment beyond a few hours, there is the potential for loss of a significant portion of the small intestine and even death. 

It is important that you be aware of this condition. If you develop abdominal pain, you must immediately seek medical attention and inform your physician that you have undergone gastric bypass surgery.  You should also tell them that you have been informed about the potential for a Petersen’s hernia and wish to be examined by a surgeon on an emergency basis. 

While the incidence of this condition is relatively low (less than 5% of patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery), it is a serious development that must be treated very quickly.

KRWaters
on 7/17/07 2:51 am - Manteca, CA
Wow, get that checked out ASAP please.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active
Recent Topics