Question to ask surgeon about revison and my history

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/07 1:31 am - The land of the Sooners
Let's see where to start. I am a little over 4 years post op and was told on June 5th I had a sliding hiatal hernia 20 cm long in my stomach and my stomach has doubled in size and have had servere abdominal pain,severe acid reflux and inflamed esophagus and was told I needed to see a surgeon. First surgeon is 8 hrs away. Well here is more of my history. I had a baby May 25,06 and went on the depo shot 3 weeks after gained 41 pounds in 3 months i went off it period.  I manage in 2 years to be able to eat more and was always starving i went from 311 to 179 in a year and then got up to 280 i am now 266. I seen a surgeon last month who was going to do a double balloon or a lay explortory on me. He also wanted me on a 3 month supervised diet and to try to heal my stomach put me on soft foods and protein shakes. I have lost 13 pounds yes that is good but its been a month they havent even sent me to the dietician and it seems like when I call his office they know nothing. I am more update that i have called this office 3 times about the double balloon and the lap explortory surgery and and there are no records of this surgeon speaking to hubby and I about this. It has upset me so bad that i have decided to go with other surgeon just by luck i had researched other surgeon and called and explained everything that was going on and how i am always in pain and how the other suregeon thought i might have a peterson hernia and if thats the case that is dangerous but they didnt seem to care so the new surgeons office made me an appointment right away got me in this coming friday can i say wow. In the mean time i go tomorrow for ekg, sleep test, chest xray and all that.  So what my question is now that you have a little bit of background is Those that have had a revision What should I ask this surgeon? How do I explain that i have a hard time eating and i am always in pain How do i get the point accross period this has been going on since having my baby 14 1/2 months ago. Any advise with questions or concerns that might help me would so much help me. Thanks in advance
Shelley S.
on 7/25/07 5:46 pm - Belmont, CA
We may be in the same boat in ways.  I'm 7 years post op and gained a lot during my two pregnancies.  I finally got up the courage to return to my surgeon recently.  I never got close to my goal weight, but I went from about 325 to 225 which thrilled me.  Now I have gained half back.  My surgeon told me that pregnancy causes scar tissue to soften and that my stoma may have stretched.  He ordered an upper GI and confirmed it.  I expect to have a stomaphyx type revision soon. I don't know what the pain is about.  Maybe your stoma has stretched and the food passing through too quickly is causing pain?  I get lower gas and bloating a lot now.  I saw posts about intestines twisting too.  I don't know about hernias. Anyway, I feel your frustration and wish you well.  keep us posted on what the Dr. finds. 
Most Active
Recent Topics