Staple Line Distuption ( Gastro-Gastric Fistula)

DoodlesNJ
on 8/4/07 12:54 pm - jackson, NJ
Hello all~ I'm just about 5 years post op from a laproscopic rny done Nov of 2002. I had gone from a surgery weight of 360 to a low of 180 lbs in just a little over a year. My weight loss plataued there for about a year and a half until I became pregnant with my first child in October of 2005.  I had gone up to 250 right before I delivered my son and lost 30 lbs within the first month. A year later I am up to 234 and in pain.. somedays worse than others. I know I have gallstones but put off having my gallbladder out because I had thought about having my surgery revised. Anyhow I went to a new surgeon this past week who, based upon what I had told him, believes me to have a staple line disruption. Although he based this diagnosis without me having any tests ( I go for an upper GI next Monday) I am no less scared. So my questions are- has anyone else here been diagnosed with a staple line disruption/fistula so long post op? What were your symptoms? Have you had a revision and if so, how are you doing? Thanks for reading~ Faith
emrettig
on 8/6/07 12:48 am
Dear Faith, I am having a similar problem.  I am almost four years out from surgery.  I have had a creeping weight gain and within the last six months I have been having very bad heartburn.  Went to the surgeon who did my surgery and we both thought it might be an ulcer.  I had an upper GI on Friday which showed the fistula.  I am waiting to hear from the doc to find out if I need surgery, how soon, etc.  I have been web surfing and can't find any real information.  Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Keep the Faith Eileen
goldroses
on 8/8/07 3:28 am - S. Weymouth, MA
I am almost 4 years post op and I have had a gastrogastric fistula for almost a year. I have gained about 40 pounds in the past nine months. I have had it closed 3 times endoscopically and it wont stay closed. I have recently developed jejunal ulcers. Im in the process of seeking a 2nd opinion about the revision surgery. My original surgeon  is will ing to do it, but she says its a much harder surgery both technically and on me. The recovery will be much harder than the bypass. I also have found very little information about it on the internet.
emrettig
on 8/8/07 4:49 am
I talked to the surgeon Monday.   He said I would need a revision but it doesn't have to be done immediately.  We are looking at January, 2008, mainly because I have a bunch of stuff to do for work and family and really can't take the time off from wor****il the new year.  But I am concerned because what I have read says revision is so much more difficult.  Fortunately the prilosec and bentyl have helped with the heartburn problem.   My other concern is pain meds.  I have degenrative arthritis in one ankle and when the weather changes it really bothers.  I suspect I have overused NSAIDs to cover that pain and the pain of a broken shoulder and that is the cause of the staple line disruption.  Tylenol doesn't really help the arthritis pain, any suggestions. Keep the Faith, Eileen
Most Active
Recent Topics