Does United Healthcare cover the Stomaphyx?

Jennifer M.
on 8/7/07 6:06 pm - Winter Haven, FL
Dr. Overcash did my gastric bypass in 2002 and now I feel like I can eat like before, but I don't have $9500.  Has anyone heard of this procedure being covered by insurance? Thanks, Jennifer
faybay
on 8/7/07 7:59 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
I am borrowing the money, my life is worth it.
Amyiable
on 8/7/07 10:41 pm
I'm doing the same.  That's how I look at it too.  When I finally got to a normal weight, I felt as though I had a life.  I could do things, I had more choices.   I don't want to go back to feeling like I don't have a life because of obesity. Amy
Amyiable
on 8/7/07 10:35 pm
Hi, Jennifer.  I have heard that Empire Insurance has paid for this.  I've got Aetna PPO, and they would not pay.  One reason the insurance companies object is that it's new & there's no proof of long term efficacy.  The other reason is that most of us who want this are less than 40 bmi ... so it's viewed as a procedure that is not medically necessary.   Those who are above 35 also consider a full revision, rather than just the stomaphyX.  What the insurance companies do not recognize, is that I WILL have 40 BMI without this intervention or some help.   I am fighting like the dickens to avoid this regain ... but I'm not doing too good.   I'm lucky that this procedure exists & pray it will give me a chance.  Amy 
stacy B.
on 8/10/07 12:04 am - Wantagh, NY
I had the proceedure by Dr. Garber in NY and it was covered.  I have United.  Some doctors don't bother to try to get it covered and want cash.  He tried hard and got it approved for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics