? for anyone who has had a revision from RNY due to failure

jenihig
on 8/9/07 2:14 am - FL
I have recently heard about someone who had RNY approx. 9 years ago and had lap band last week because she had started to gain her weight back. I don't know all of the details, as far as how much she weighed pre-op (the 1st time around) or how much she had gained back. I would love to know from her what she thinks she did that caused her to gain the weight back but I don't know how to approach her with that question without hurting her feelings. I had RNY on March 20th & understandibly I want to do everything in my power to avoid having to travel the bariatric surgery road again in the future. I want this to be it for me. SO- what I would like to do on here is to find people who have gained their weight back after RNY and get some input from them on what they did to cause the weight regain. Thanks in advance. Jenifer
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, 
            it became a butterfly
-anonymous
Butterfly
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
slfam
on 8/9/07 2:21 am - WI
 Jenifer - it sounds  like you and I are searching for the same answers. I just posted the same basic question about 4 minutes after you did! So if you want to read the responses to my question, it may help your answer your own! The only difference is that I am hoping to have a revision to an RNY!
jenihig
on 8/9/07 2:57 am - FL
How cool... we are both on the same quest, or at least sort of . I hope we get some honest input from some of these guys who have been there done that. I will watch your post too... Good luck with everything. Jenifer
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, 
            it became a butterfly
-anonymous
Butterfly
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
KRWaters
on 8/9/07 2:54 am - Manteca, CA
I am a person who could answer you Jen.  AT about 8 months after my RnY I stopped losing. I didn't gain at that time, just did not lose any more. I had lost 94 pounds and stopped. People kept telling me to just keep on doing what I was doing, which was eating protein first at each meal 3-4 oz, and a fruit or vegetable. After a year of doing that, I went out of town to visit my mom in Michigan, and I ate more carbs then I probably should have and some weight came on. I came home, my boyfriend moved in, and I ate more carbs. Before I could turn around I had eaten up to 40 pounds more of weight. So #1-don't let your boyfriend move in and bring with him carbs and sweets, LOL. Go back to your surgeon when you have been on a very long plateau and get back on track. Many say to go back to basics with just liquids only or all protein.  Good luck to you.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

bradshaw0506
on 8/9/07 4:53 am - Chicago, IL
Jen, I think I can help you out too. I had RNY 4/99 when I was 24 y.o. and 11 months post-op I was pregnant.  First and foremost,  DO NOT get pregnant anytime soon!  Lose your weight, maintain for a year or more and then revisit the idea of babies. Also, a lot of us who had surgery 9+ years ago didn't get the WLS education that everyone gets today.  When I left the hospital on May 3rd 1999 I left with a pamphlet on how to do a liquid diet.  I saw my surgeon 3 times post-op.  1 of those times was 18 months later for weight gain.  I have not been back since, mostly because I moved fromm VA to IL.  Since 1999 I've had 4 babies, and have gained back 82 of the 100 pounds I lost. I really feel that I fell off track because of 4 pregnancies. I didn't know I couldn't get pregnant and of course after losing weight it's not something I was aiming to do, just kinda happened.  I also didn't know that I couldn't drink soda or have sweets or french fries, etc...  I was just told that I wouldn't be able to tolerate them for a short time.  Never thought that it was going to be forever!  I didn't know anything about vitamins either or the need to have so many.   I kind of feel like I have a college degree, but never went to college.  I have my RNY, but never got the proper education to back it up.  Plus back then getting gastric bypass was like shopping for shoes:  you choose a store (surgeon), you pick your shoes (surgery type), you purchase (have surgery) and you don't return unless it's defective.  They don't tell you how to wear your shoes and my surgeon never instructed me on how to use my tool. I wonder what your friend would say if you asked?  Maybe ask her like this..."what was surgery like when you had it years ago?"  Just a suggestion. Lori~
maryrn1965
on 8/9/07 4:47 am - Lansing , MI
Jen, I had Roux 5/2000 have been very successful with keeping the weight off, however over time your pouch will stretch out & you will eat more than you should.  Bad habits need to be kept at bay. STOP eating when you're full & committ to that. I never have let my weight get more than 5 pounds out of control.  I have had several girlfriends who gained 25-60 pounds d/t carbs.  Stick w/ the proteins!!!   Also keep in mind that national averages of 70-75% of the excess is what you can expect to lose on average.  Many however are VERY successful & actually hit a BMI of 25.  Sucess is still measured as 50% or more of the excess weight.   Congrats on your weight loss & new life. Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics