Why did your RNY fail?

slfam
on 8/9/07 2:18 am - WI
I am looking at having a revision from the LapBand to a RNY but before doing so, I want to know why most people fail with a RNY. I want to be fully informed of the real-life probablems that could likely occur with a RNY. I don't really know if my insurance will ever approve the revision - I have already been denied once and am appealing. So, is it that you had a physical problem with the surgery? Did you eat the wrong foods? Did you eat too much and stretch out the pouch? I'd ove details so I can take a good look at your situations and see if I might be susceptible to the same tings. Thanks!
sandyfeets
on 8/9/07 3:18 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
I had a mechanical failure of my stoma. The stoma is to be about 8-12 mm in diameter. Mine ended up being 14. This is not due to anything I did.
My pouch is still small and I get full on about 8 oz of food. Due to the large stoma, my pouch empties too fast and I get HUNGRY.

I had a leak and tissue failure at the anastomosis site 9 days post op and it had to be repaired via a second LAP surgery. My surgeon knows he made the stoma the right size, but due to the complication, he feels that it healed larger. I have had Endoscopic Schlerotherapy on the stoma to shrink it. It has worked. It is now smaller. Not sure how small, as it has not been measured since the treatment.

lizzythompson
on 8/15/07 12:54 am - Denton, TX
This sounds like what has happened to me. I went for an endoscopy due to some reflux I was experiencing, and the first Dr that looked at the films said I had developed a Hiatal Hernia. I went to a surgeon to see about getting it repaired and he requested i have a second endoscopy. This Dr said that what the first Dr thought ws a hernia was my pouch and my stoma was as big as my esophagus. I too can only eat a little bit untill I stand up, then my pouch empties very quickly and I am hungry again.  I have gained from 178 lbs to 257 lbs in 5 years. My current insurance has a specific exclusion for anything weight related, so I am changing to UHC soon. There have been several people at my job who have been approved for RNY's, Gastric Sleeves and Lap Banding, so am hopeful that they will allow me to get this problem fixed. Now I just need to find a Doctor!!!!

lauralisi
on 8/9/07 7:37 am - Dona Ana, NM

I had RNY in 1999 and lost 137 pounds which I maintained until 2005.  I gradually

regained 60 pounds due to my own negligence

and carelessness!  I had never heard of “pouch rules”

but I should have investigated more thoroughly. I did not exercise regularly nor did I get involved with a support group. I have no one to blame but myself!!! Please learn from my mistakes.

SherylR
on 8/13/07 4:44 pm - Richlands, NC
I had RNY 8/22/2002 in NC and lost 217lbs until about 2 years ago when I moved back in with my parents to help them with my Grandma who had alztheimers (so I'm eating differently), I'm taking some different meds and I work a 12-hour shift as a 911 dispatcher where my co-workers eat non-stop... but I can only blame myself, they don't force the fork in my mouth!   When I had my WLS there was no support group to speak of, we didn't have a NUT to talk with and I didn't have good follow up - party because I moved out of state 6 weeks after WLS.  Anyway, I'm 5 years out and I've gained about 30 lbs back and it's a scary thing!  I'm back on the right track and trying to loose the rest of my weight without a revision, but I have an appointment next week with my original WLS (Oh, I moved back to NC 2 years ago also) to find out what needs to happen.    Anyway, I hope this helps!  Take care!!!
Sheryl
08/22/2002 (WLS date)
425/177/238/160 (high/low/current/goal)

"Don't count the moments but make the moments count!!"
Brittwoman
on 8/9/07 11:21 am - West Babylon, NY
I actually just got my approval for a revision from Lapband to RNY yesterday!  I has a slip that was discovered on 6/1 and the first submission was denied, but then I did EVERY thing over like a newbie (psych eval, dietician, cardiac, pulmonary, support group, endo, abdominal sono) and was approved within 4 days on my appeal. My revision surgery is schedualed for 10/1 because I had to have emergency surgery on 7/30 to remove my band and my MD wants to give me 2 full months to heal from the removal. If I can help you with anything just drop me an email! Jane
sopralto
on 8/9/07 4:03 pm - WA
I only lost 70lbs after my RNY and regained 80. Talk about scary and embarrassing. I just was able to eat more and more food early on. It is a normal human need to eat until satisfied. I love sweets and love to snack. I followed the rules about not drinking with meals and no soda until I had gained all the weight back, I figured, why am I following these rules anymore? So I stopped. I think grazing is the devil! I wish I had a Duodenal Switch as my first surgery. My daughter had the DS and I believe for us and our eating habits and lifestyle, this is the better surgery. Not for everyone. At least my experience has helped her get the best surgery for her situation. I wish I knew then what I know now. No support groups, no internet, no follow up...back in the day
Most Active
Recent Topics