Can u eat a whole hamburger? curious...

tina01
on 8/14/07 8:36 am - Wilmington, DE
Regular hamburger from the grill. 1/2" thick, regular bun, onions, cheese.... I'm just curious... as I sit here eating mine.  Thanks all. T
mikenfortmill
on 8/14/07 10:03 am - Fort Mill, SC
Yes I can... and feel full... but before wls, I could eat almost three....  Mike
Cathy W.
on 8/14/07 10:53 am
Hi Tina, Pre-StomaphyX....yes, absolutely! Now....no way! Also, I think it depends on what else you've eaten throughout the day.  Has it been a day where you've eaten light things or not eaten as much, etc?   Was it good??  LOL! Cathy
Amyiable
on 8/14/07 11:49 am
Cathy, I'm sorry to be dense... but do you mean that you might eat a bit more in a meal when you haven't already eaten much that day?  Also, how do you handle drinking?  Do you avoid drinking with your meals.  If so, when will you start drinking after a meal?  Thanks, Amy
Cathy W.
on 8/15/07 3:31 am
Hi Amy, You're not dense at all!  If you've not eaten anything for many hours, you'll be able to eat more because your pouch is completely empty!  However, if you ate a few hours ago and are eating, chances are you'll be able to eat a bit less.  If I've eaten something, for example, and eat again a couple of hours later, I'll probably eat less than if I hadn't eaten for four or five hours.   I definitely don't drink with my meals.  Think of your pouch like a funnel.  When you eat dense protein, you want it to empty out slowly.  You get the satiety when the food is in your pouch longer.  However, if you drink with a meal, you're essentially flushing it through or, at a minimum, quicker.  With liquid flowing through, the food won't stay with you as long.   At a minimum, I will start drinking 30 minutes after a meal.  Optimally, 45 minutes to an hour would be better.  I can't wait an hour but I can usually wait for 45 minutes.  If something is dry or I need to drink for some reason, I'll only take a sip.  I really think of my pouch like a funnel and I don't want to expedite the emptying of my pouch by drinking.  Does that make sense to think of your pouch like a funnel?  It helps me. Cathy
sandyfeets
on 8/15/07 5:20 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
Whole Hamburger----@ 19 months post op---NOPE, can't do it. I usually end up eating half the burger, then eating the rest of it "open faced." So really I eat all the meat, veggies and only half the bun.
Sometimes I can't even finish all the meat.
I never have cheese on my burgers----Usually too much fat there, and I don't like American cheese ( o****all me UNAmerican--I'll deal with it). If I DO have cheese, it better be Swiss, Provolone, Munster, Montery Jack or even Mozzarella.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/19/07 2:49 am - Tuvalu
My rearranged innards are not fond of white flour...so I avoid the bun.  Maybe a bite or two for old time's sake!  LOL  But the meat and lettuce and tomato...sure! Sue 21 months post-op Band-to-DS revision
slfam
on 8/27/07 12:22 am - WI
Oh yeah! No problems whatsoever! :(
slconley
on 8/27/07 1:26 am - sapulpa, OK

I had RNY 2/16/04 and can't even finish 1/2 a sandwich, much less a burger.  I will say though that a couple of times I have been able to eat an entire quarterpounder, and was SO excited! It took me FOREVER and I had to nuke it 3 or 4 times before I finished, but I did it!!

Let me say that I feel that I have lost TOO much (242high 103 now) (low of 95 a couple of wks ago-too much stress/separation from husband..long story... ) anyway, I really WISH I could eat more, and I know that alot of people *****ad this are going to think "what a b****" but I'm not saying it in a boasting way, believe me!  When my surgery was done, my surgeon placed a "ring" at the stoma to prevent stretching of the pouch, and I am seriously considering having it removed as soon as I get insurance again.   So, anyway...that's my two cents worth... have a good day  Sherri

Most Active
Recent Topics