StomaphyX or DS what would you do?

Susie221
on 9/4/07 7:54 am - UK
Here I am 10 months since my DISTAL RNY  Stopped losing weight since 5-6 months Was 298 starting weight and now 232 lbs  I feel that I rushed into having RNY ,as I was afraid of having DS ,but that was becasue I was naughty and didnt research enough !Now I wished I had had the DS  But of course now that StomaphyX has come on the scene I am considering having that done ,BUT  what if I have StomaphyX and dont lose enough weight again ? Would I be better off just going for the DS and forget about StomaphyX ? At least DSers dont seem to have the weight gain problems that us RNYers seem to ? Susie xx
hayley_hayley
on 9/4/07 11:26 am
Your welcome to come over to the DS board. Ask your question there. Good luck in what ever u decide to do. 

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

darnell239
on 9/4/07 12:56 pm - Columbia, SC
Susie, I'm going through the same thing except I had the mini-gastric bypass 7 1/2 years.  I talked with my surgeon today and he will not convert my previous surgery to the duodenal switch.  He says that since I've had a previous surgery that this surgery would be to dangerous.  I too would rather not deal with weight regain (it is an emotional nightmare!).    People might think I am lazy or want something the easy way but I just can't follow a life long diet  plan and counting calories.  I've done that for 20 years (and I am 34 years old).   Lets be honest most overweight people who can adhere to a strict life long diet plan and count calories would not need any form of surgery.  Doctor Overcash will be performing my RNY in October.  I've decided to keep him as a surgeon because he has lots and lots of experience with revisions and his office had been very accommodating to my needs.  Additionaly, he does perform the stomaphx. 
Trudy O.
on 9/5/07 12:00 am - TN
Is your stoma enlarged?  Mine was, but my pouch was still small, so I didn't qualify for stomaphyx.  Have you had a upper gi or endoscopy.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/8/07 4:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Susie: Do you know why your weight loss has stalled?? Do you feel that your surgeon made your pouch too big or that it has stretched significantly in the past 10 months??  If so, then maybe StomaphyX would work for you.  But, if your problems do not seem to be related to your pouch size, then I would talk to a surgeon about a DS.  Does your surgeon have any opinion on why you've stopped losing? Peace.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Susie221
on 9/8/07 9:23 am - UK
 Thank you for your replies ladies !!! My surgeon made my pouch 5ozs so from about 6 weeks out I have been able to to eat ANYTHING ,but please understand when I mean anything I mean ...fruit,  meat ,pasta, bread, nothing gets stuck or lodges everything goes down easy Surgeon said that there was nothing wrong with me and that I should be perfectly happy with my weight loss at this age 52, he was appalled that I was not happy ..... well Im not  He has never suggested any investigative procedure to find out how things are by the way ,I guess I will have to have that done by someone else who will take an interest  Susie xx
Most Active
Recent Topics