Big Thanks to Sopralto on Protein Drink Recommendation

azlorri
on 9/16/07 2:35 pm - AZ

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to Kathy for mentioning Isopure protein drink.  It's almost GOOD tasting.   Protein has always been an issue with me and after my original RnY I tried the powdered drinks and simply couldn't stomache them.   I lost LOTS of hair and it's never really come back.   (But I'm not much of a meat or dairy person anyway.)     Last week when I met with Dr Schlesinger's staff to review what I needed to do to prepare for the Stomaphyx procedure.....they reminded me that I would need more protein and recommended that I start at least a week early to help with healing.   I thought, "oh no, I can't do that powdered stuff again"....then I came home and read Kathy's post mentioning Isopure.    Wow, talk about good fortune!   The timing was excellent.   This is a drink much the taste and consistency of Crystal Light.    Not amazing....but it comes in 8 flavors and has 40 grams of protein per bottle.   I'm managing to drink 2 or 3 of these a day without problem.   And it will be such a relief to know that I have good options during my upcoming liquid phase.   Wahoo!!!

The only problem is the cost.  It lists at $3.99 a bottle...but my local GNC was willing to do $2.50 a bottle when I purchased two cases.   So, that's a help.

Please let me know if anyone has any other recommendations for protein during the month of liquids.   Thanks Lorri

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQ4yMLq/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wQ4yMLq/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

JRinAZ
on 9/16/07 3:12 pm - Layton, UT
Lori, I went out shopping this weekend for additional protein as well.  I'm getting ready for my month of liquid protein too.  ....  I knew I wouldn't be able to go sweet for an entire month so I was hunting for the "Any Whey" protein powder.  It's flavorless and can be stirred into soups, Crystal Light, ...anything.  I couldn't find it anywhere in Phoenix!!!  So, I've hunted down some internet places that sell it.  I've used it before and really liked it.  It's 17 grams of protein and 80 calories with 1 carb...zero sugars. I also LOVE the Matrix chocolate.  I stir a scoop into hot tap water and then add a shot of sugar free Torani choc and either caramel or peppermint syrups.  I then top about a 20 oz mug off with boiling water.  It is sooooooo yummy and totally makes me think I"ve had a Starbucks creation! I'll be behind you with my phyx so will  look for updates from you and all the phyx folks.  I too appreciate the entire story.  I think hearing about what can go wrong just gives me more resolve to do my part to make sure it works.  I loved Cathy's post about "protecting" her procedure.  Best wishes to you and keep us posted!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Kaci Campbell
on 9/17/07 1:26 am - Avondale, AZ
I found the flavorless whey protein at the GNC in Avondale (99th Ave. and McDowell).  My favorite protein shake is Shamrock Farms low-fat chocolate milk, 1 scoop of French- Vanilla whey protein and 6-8 ice cubes.  It's like a chocolate milkshake.  I also put the flavorless in my cream of wheat.  I add a little cinnamon and splenda.  It's yummy.
JRinAZ
on 9/17/07 12:48 pm - Layton, UT
Ahhhhh thanks for the shopping tip Kaci!  The cinnamonny cream of wheat sounds delish!!!! Love your new pic!
Joyce 

Paula Prichard
on 9/20/07 1:40 pm - Kingman, AZ
Hi there. I was wondering if you remember me from Dr. Simpson's office. He did my Lap Band over my RNY pouch last November. Anyway, I knew that you were trying for a revision then, but I didn't think you were approved....is he doing your stomaphyx or is someone else? I'm curious because to be honest the band isn't working for me. I am at a good fill level--any higher and I wouldn't be able to swallow---but I weight THE SAME as I did last November. Very depressing.

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
JRinAZ
on 9/22/07 2:06 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Paula! I definitey remember you!  I'm sooooo sorry to hear that the band didn't do the trick for you!.......You are right, I was denied for a revision  and so elected not to have the band since Dr. Simpson wanted me to do tons of experimental procedures to PROVE that I needed one so I could appeal.  I just didn't want to donate my body to science so to speak!  Not that he was asking anything unreasonable of me; he was just trying to see what things could  beat the nasty insurance decision. Anyway, I am working for Dr. Gitt now at North Valley Plastic Surgery and have become acquainted with Dr. Schlesinger.  In fact, he is renting office space from us until his suite is finished on the 3rd floor of our same building.  I helped him out a bit while he was interviewing his new staff and getting them trained,.  I really like him and have been impressed with not only his devotion to his patients and his practice but to his desire to do each case perfectly!  He is the only one in AZ doing the Stomaphyx  but even if others were up to speed with it; I thik I'd select him.  It is new and like all learning curves, he has improved his technique as he has gone along.   I'm scheduled for the "phyx" the first week of November.  BUT......I often get cold feet when it comes to surgeries!  LOL! ....So, since I have new insurance (better) than I did when denied for the revision to lapband, I am going to try one more time to see if I can get approval.  I think that becoming bypassed to distal AND gettnig the stomaphyx at the same time may be my ticket!  I definitely think that a more malabsorptive procedure can benefit most of us in the long run. Anyway....sorry bout the long reply!  My internet went down this past week and I haven't been able to catch up. Feel free to give me a call at the office and maybe we can help each other find a good solution for both of us!  :)  480 - 991-6877 Good luck with your journey.  I feel bad the band hasn't been of benefit to you!
Joyce 

sopralto
on 9/17/07 8:53 am - WA
I bought two cases of Profect's Protica (or maybe Protica's Profect) for my daughter who was protein challenged after her DS last year. It is 3 oz with 25 grams of protein in a clear liquid-- no sugar or carbs. I wouldn't drink it straight, it is like thick kool-aid, but I add it to crystal lite or lower carb fruit juice (cranberry or apple) or even flavored water and it is quite nice. I buy the Isopure at GNC and have a gold card, so the first week of the month it is 20% off. Glad we can share helpful hints. (I showed this Isopure and Protica to the RNY surgeon at our HMO and he said he didn't recommend it to RNY patients because he doesn't want them drinking their calories. I don't believe he looked closely, it is only protein.  On the liquid phase I eat yogurt for breakfast, soup for lunch and dinner and drink the protein drinks in between as a snack. When I want something really smooth, I take Designer Protein powder, milk, a tsp of diet pudding mix, a TBS of cream and blend with a banana and ice. Makes a nice chocolatey milkshake. I worried that the volume is too much, but I eat it slowly, so hope I am not putting pressure on the pleats. My other treat is diet chocolate pudding with 1 tsp of peanut butter. I really don't eat much else.
Most Active
Recent Topics