Wanting to seek a revision and confused!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/07 1:46 am
Hi all. I had a proximal RNY in Jan 2002. I weighed over 300 pounds (5'6") at the time of surgery, though my steady adult weight had lingered around 280. I gained about 70 pounds in a short amount of time due to some issues I was having  at home. Anyway, I lost down to 225 pounds in about 8 months. Then I stalled for a short bit, and started to regain, right back up to 281 pounds. Last fall, I started taking phentermine and monitoring all my food intake on Sparkpeople.com. I was consuming around 900 calories per day (I was starved!!!!), and exersising incessantly (for me) burning at least 600 calories per day via cardio. I was also doing weight resistance exercises. It took about 6 months or so to lose back to 230 pounds. Needless to say, I could not maintain the diet or the strenuous exercise and have stopped, and pretty much reverted back to my old eating habits. Currently, I'm at 232 pounds. I'm wanting to seek a revision, and have been for quite a while, and I'm just not sure what route to take. My original surgeon has moved out of state, and I have as well. In February, I saw a band doctor, and thought about having a band placed over my pouch. I did have an upper endoscopy which revealed a stretched pouch and enlarged stoma (3cm). I researched that avenue and I just have not seen good enough results overall, from what I've read. I have also researched the DS, and frankly, I'm scared of the bathroom issues more than anything else. I know people will chime in and say they are manageable, but what if they aren't with me? I have a professional job, and I travel and attend meetings and I just can't afford to have accidents or horrible gas. Then there's the stomaphyx. Again, such mixed results on the outcome. I realize it's fairly new, but I would have liked to have seen more positive results. What else can I do? Risk an RNY revision and maybe have another stretched pouch/stoma? I'm really confused and wanting to do something about this weight gain terribly. I just don't know what to do. I would love to hear from anyone who's had any sort of revision, and your experiences, outcomes, etc. Thank you all in advance!!!!! Jill
darnell239
on 9/26/07 8:20 am - Columbia, SC
Jill, I had the mini gastric bypass 7 1/2 years ago and I am also seeking a revision.  I can feel your pain and understand your concern.  I am seeking a revision to the RNY and I am going to see if I can have the silastic ring placed on the pouch (also called the Fobi pouch).  I would suggest getting insurance approval for a revision.  You should see if you can have your proximal RNY converted to a distal RNY.  That means they will bypass more intestines.  Or if you prefer something less invasive and your goal is to start back loosing weight than get the lapband.  Keep in mind that it may take a few fills to hit the "sweet spot."  Hopes this helps.
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/07 8:56 am

Thank you so much for the reply. I know that my insurance does approve revisions, though it needs to be a "surgical failure" such as a fistula, etc. I don't even know what a fistula is. I don't think I failed my surgery. I did what I was supposed to do per my surgeon at the time. Basically I'm just desperate to find a solid solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy A.
on 10/2/07 12:42 am - Modesto, CA
I think finding the best revision Dr you can in your area is the way to start. I had to do the whole wls hoop jumping all over again fill out all the same papers and have the same tests. Adding the band for me is working. I have a great Dr here in Calif. My pouch was still small with enlarged stoma. Good luck to you
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/07 9:46 am - TX
Most Active
Recent Topics