Had my revision!

slickgt
on 9/29/07 12:05 am - Bolingbrook, IL
I had my revision on 9/19 as scheduled.  It took 7 hours.  The next day when the surgeon came to see me he told me my pouch had not stretched at all.  He said I was able to eat so much because food was going into my intestines immediately, but said the connection between my pouch and intestines wasn't large enough to warrant the risk of opening up and fixing.  Instead he put a band (not an adjustable one, a permanent one) around my pouch and stitched it in place to give me some restriction.  He also bypassed more intestines to give me more malabsorption.  He said he only left me with 75 cm or mm (not sure which) of common channel bowel which is significantly small and said it may be too much and at a later date he may need to go back it to pull back on that some.  He also fixed the hernia.  I was in the hospital this time for 5 days.  I was in a lot of pain in the hospital and they switched me from the morphine pump which wasn't helping me to shots of tordel (sp?) each day, which really helped.  However, since I've been home, I've needed no pain medication.  I went for my post op appt on Fri 9/28 and the surgeon told me I looked better than he anticipated.  I actually feel very well.  I lost 11 pounds since surgery and am now at 309 the lowest I've been in over 15 years easily.  I have two JP drains in which isn't any big deal.  I'm just praying my incision doesn't open up like it did last time.  The doctor said after about 2 more weeks, if it hasn't opened up by then, I'm pretty much in the clear.  My next appt is for Wed 10/3 where he may take out the drains/staples. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/07 12:43 am
Glad all went well for you and I wish you the BEST!  Welcome to LOSERVILLE :-)!!
darnell239
on 9/29/07 3:44 am - Columbia, SC
I read your profile and you have an interesting story.  Too bad your surgeon didn't take your concerns seriously from the beginning.  But anyway things worked out for you and I hope you loose all your additional weight and then some.
Most Active
Recent Topics