VBG in 2001 having complications

lesleastep
on 10/4/07 1:12 am
I have been throwing up since my surgery on a daily basis.  It doesn't have anything to do with what I am eating.  Even sometimes when I eat a couple of bites I throw up.  I was in the hospital for a week a couple of weeks ago with iron deficiency anemia, low potassium, and I had an emergency upper GI and scope done.  The GI Dr said I needed to have my VBG taken down asap.  He had a surgeon come in and talk to me.  I just started crying I didn't know what to do.  I feel like I have come all this way started at 340 lbs and now weight 190 lbs.  I am 5'10 so that isn't bad.  Plus, I had a baby in 2005.  But, he basically said my opening is way too narrow and if I don't take it down I will continue to have complications.  I contacted Neweigh in Houston to see if they can qualify me for a revision.  But, my concern is if I get a revision will I lose more weight?  I don't want to die in this process.  Any suggestions? 
darnell239
on 10/5/07 11:22 am - Columbia, SC
I'm sorry to hear about your post-op problems.  Your first priority is to get yourself well.  You can't be vomitting all the time.  Find yourself a good revision surgeon follow their advice.  You are now down to 190 that may not be your dream goal but it beats vomitting everyday and feeling bad.  Please keep the forum updated on your situation.  I want everything to work out for you.
lesleastep
on 10/5/07 11:43 pm
Darnell, Thank you for your support.  I just found out that my insurance company has an exclusion and won't cover a revision.  They say they won't even cover taking it down completely because they consider that a "complication from obesity surgery" which is an exclusion also.  But, the surgeon re-worded it and got approval for the surgery to take it down.  I am nervous about it but I know that whether or not I gain the weight back is up to me.  But, you are right, I would rather be a bit bigger than as sick as I have been.  :)  Thank you for your support!!!  It means alot!
JOlmos
on 10/8/07 1:24 am - Houston, TX
Hi...I'm new to the site.  I underwent a VBG in July 1997; oddly enough 10 years to my anniversary date I had an endoscopy, upper GI etc. done and found out that the band opening had a lot of scarring, tear in the staple line, etc.  I just went in b/c I was having extreme heartburn, acid reflux not too mention the uncontrollable weight gain.  My insurance also has barriatric surgery exclusions BUT my surgeon and his incredible staff got all the necessary docs right the first time and was approved immediately.  I weigh 215 now and am scheduled for RNY on Oct. 29.  I'm very excited and of course nervous but very very confident in my surgeon etc.   Good luck. 

Most Active
Recent Topics