Lap band slipage and possible revision to bypass

catgrl1972
on 10/5/07 3:24 am
I am a new member looking for some direction and advice. I was banded in Dec 2004, mostly the band has worked, did loose 70lbs, but never have had that "perfect" fill. I am either too tight or too loose. Recently my band slipped. They removed fluid for a month and then let my pouch rest, upper gi showed improvement so they filled me with 1cc. Seemed like everything I ate no matter how slow or fast got stuck. I vomited quite a few times in the two weeks between seeing the doctor. So, I went back to the md on Tuesday, md thinks it is definately a slip. So, now the talk of revising is on the table. I asked him if there were cases where one has a lap band and then converted to bypass. He said there was. I told him I was thinking at this point I think that maybe going for the bypass would be the best route since I have to have surgery anyway. So, I am going to see the nutritionist next week and the social worker in a couple weeks. He told me to think about it and not to make my final decision right away. Obviously they would have to get insurance approval. Not even sure if it would be covered, although since I need to have my band fixed I can't see why they would not approve for conversion to the bypass? Anyone expereinced in this area? My BMI is still in the obese range of 33 or 34. They took out the fluid so now I am empty and trying my hardest to not eat everything in site. I am doing OK. I just keep going back and forth about how to proceede. Part of me thinks that the bypass will be my best option, but then I have been reading stories on this site with people who had the bypass and they talk about there pouches being streched and gaining ALL the weight they have lost...a bit scary to me. I don't know. Definately need to weigh my options and the pros and cons and the best outcome long term. I look forward to your input! Charlotte  :)
etg
on 10/6/07 6:26 pm
Hi I can relate with what you are talking about. I had the lap band in 2003 and struggled with it the entire time. I was constantly throwing up and feeling sick. I was to the point that even water made me throw up. About a month ago I had a revision to gastric bypass and I am extremely happy. Good luck with whatever choice you decide to take.
Brittwoman
on 10/7/07 11:23 pm - West Babylon, NY
I was orginally banded 1/9/04, had a slip 6/1/07, emergency removal 7/30/07, and yes revision to RNY on 10/1/07. IMO...I say go for the revision. I wanted another band placed, but when my surgeon told me I could possible have another slip, I said forget it! The pain from the first slip was more then enough for me. Did my insurance cover it, YES! But...I had to do ALL the pre-op testing over again. Can ANY WLS be non-effective YES...you just have to follow the rules to be successful. Non-compliant = FAILURE with any WLS.
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

m.espoir
on 10/10/07 1:31 pm - NJ
Hi, I have not yet had my revision but I will in a few weeks, I chose to go to DS. I also did not want to risk the band eroding again like it did to me the first time. I read many stories of banded people revising to RNY and are happy, and also to DS. I think that the DS might be better for me as I dont want to have to worry about another pouch. you can read a lot about it on the DS forum. My insurance covered the emergency removal, and is covering the DS, but I had to do ALL the pre-cert @*%&&#%^#% all over again!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

KRWaters
on 10/12/07 7:08 am - Manteca, CA
Yeah for the DS! It sounds awsome, doesn't it? I can't wait to have my surgery, maybe next year I hope.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/07 4:29 pm - Fort Worth, TX
slugworth
on 11/6/07 2:10 pm - Stanwood, WA
See my profile about my revision to Mini Gastric Bypass from the lap band. =Van
Most Active