Revision Questions

Debbie D.
on 10/10/07 11:39 pm - phoenix, AZ
Seems I need to talk to my surgeon again.  I've been told by several people here that all revisions are done "open".  Unless I'm going crazy I know my surgeon said he would not be doing open surgery.  I orginally had the RNY and I'm not sure what he is doing this time.   What do you thing the average time out of work will be?  I was told 4-6 weeks but I can't imagine that long.  With my original surgery I was back in the office in 5 days.
HOPIE G
on 10/11/07 3:56 am - LAGUNA BEACH, CA

Hi Debbie, I found this article and thought it could help answer some of your question. StomaphyX

This revolutionary procedure is now available for individuals who have had previous gastric bypass surgery and who are regaining weight;  who want an alternative to invasive weight loss surgery. This procedure involves no incisions and in most cases, no recovery.  It involves placing an endoscope through the mouth into the stomach pouch and suturing the connection between the stomach pouch and small intestines resulting in slower emptying of the stomach and earlier satiety and more weight loss. The procedure also shrinks the stomach pouch and makes it small like soon after the original gastric bypass procedure.

Benefits of the StomaphyX procedure include: No need for abdominal or internal surgical incisions. Enables the surgeon to reduce the size of the stomach. Preserves future treatment options. In most cases, is performed on an outpatient basis. Essentially painless. Faster recovery than with open or laparoscopic procedures.   The StomaphyX device is an endoluminal fastener and delivery system that consists of an ergonomic, flexible fastener delivery device and sterile polypropylene fastener implants.

Deb *.
on 10/11/07 4:59 am
I had a revison from VBG to RNY in March.  My surgeon was able to do it laproscopically and I was back at work 2 weeks later. Debbi

SophieGrace
on 10/11/07 10:48 pm - IL
Which revision are you having?  The procedures vary.   StomaPhyx isn't done open.  However, your surgeon may be planning a completely different procedure The 4-6 week time frame sounds like the recommended amount of time off, but I don't think most people need that much time off. Talk with your surgeon again.  He's the only one who can really provide these answers.
Most Active
Recent Topics