Revisions for Canadian/Ontario Patients?

Carol C.
on 10/11/07 9:50 am - Barrie, Canada
I had Lap RNY with Dr. Yau approx. 6 years ago.  My weight loss was great and I was very happy.  I started at almost 280 lbs and got down to 155.  At about the 2 year mark I became pregnant and delivered healthy triplet girls.  Shortly after the birth I went down to 149 but after that I began to put on weight andit hasn't stopped.  I am now at 205 lbs with no sign of slowing down.  I'm sad, depressed and feel so helpless. At this point I am seriously considering a revision however I'm not sure what type I would benefit most from.  I have read about the StomaphyX and have even contacted New York Presbyterian Hospital regarding the EROS procedure.  It looks like the Canadian doctors don't like to do revisions after an RNY so I'm stuck....unless someone here knows different! Also, how would this work for OHIP coverage?  My initial surgery was covered by OHIP however what is the general stance regarding revisions?  Anyone have expereince with an out-of-country revision that was approved by OHIP? I truly never thought I would be in this position again...yet here I am....at least it's good to know that I'm not alone in this struggle.
zappre
on 10/12/07 2:33 am
Hi Carol, Sorry to hear that you're struggling.  You're not nearly the only person going through this.  I had a VBG in 1990 that failed miserably and on November 20th I'm getting it revised to a DS (Duodenal Switch) by Dr. L. in Michigan.  OHIP is paying for it.  So it is possible.  I know that he has done RNY to DS switches as well.  In any event, no matter what procedure you pick, revisions are doable, though not always paid for (I'm pretty sure OHIP doesn't pay for Lap Band and I've heard of some RNY'ers adding a Lap Band).  You're doing the right thing by asking questions.  I hope you find the answers you need. You're more than welcome to come visit the DS board.  There are a number of people who've been revised.  I'm sure you'll find similar stories on other boards as well.  Best of luck and keep your head up.

HW-373 / SW-352 / CW-160 / GW-185                     

jonathan R.
on 10/13/07 4:26 am - east meadow, ny
You should look into the stomaphyx procedure.  It worked amazing for me.  I already lost 45 pounds.  I had had it done by Dr. Garber in NY.  The cash price is $8800 but my insurance covered the procedure.
Most Active
Recent Topics