HELP! Need revisional surgery for Vertical Banded Gastroplasty..Advice welcome.

VBGMOM
on 2/10/08 11:15 am - DE
Hello. I am so happy I found this website. I would like to hear from anyone who has had a bariatric revision from Vertical Banded Gastroplasty to another type of WLS. I am in the beginning stages of considering a revision surgery. Update: I started working on my profile. Thanks for all who have replied. Your words of encouragement are appreciated and comforting to me. Here is my info:

March 1990- Weighed 232lbs at 5'3"

March 1990- Have open vertical banded gastroplasty surgery done.

September 1990- Lose 80lbs

April 1993- Got married 

September 93- Have a son gaining 60lbs

August 94- Have daughter gaining 40lbs

February 2008- Weight at 260lbs and can't get below that. Stuck.

I'm pretty sure my pouch has stretched as I can eat normal portions. Struggle to lose a pound or two. My metabolism is very slow.

I now have severe obstructive sleep apnea.

High Triglicerides

Ulcertive Colitis.

I am 42 and want my health back.

If you have any input at all from all perspective...patient or doctor etc...I would greatly appreciate 
it.

I am in northern delaware.

Thanks !
Andrea B.
on 2/10/08 11:43 am - Roslyn, NY
Hi I had a VBG in 1997-lost 80 lbs-not even near goal-kept off about 60 lbs.  Just had a DS two weeks ago as a revision.  The surgeon kept the VBG as the restriction-even though it had a staple line disruption-and did the lower part.  I have about 60-70 lbs to lose-hopefully this will help!! Keep in touch-ask any questions you may have!! Andrea
Vicki PNW
on 2/10/08 4:01 pm
I see that Dr. Greenbaum performed your original surgery.  He performs revisions to DS or any surgery of your choice. Might want to contact his office.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

lyne R.
on 2/11/08 6:30 am - windsor, Canada
Hi  I had a VBG done in 1998 and lost 130lbs in 10 months after 4 years weight slowly started creeping back on i gained 110lbs back. in nov i had a RNY done and i'm down 54lbs in 3 months i feel great  good luck in finding the surgery that is best for you 
angiebell28
on 2/11/08 9:42 am - houston, TX
hi, I had a VBG in 2004 and lost 71lbs. put all of it back on in 2006. had an upper edg and found out pouch had stretched and band slipped, so doctor recommended revision to rny. I had a lap rny on january 21st 2008 and am down 30lbs three weeks post op. didn't know revision was an option until i found this website. i had to go thru 3 denials with insurance company but finally got approved right before my employer decided to not  cover any gastric bypass surgery anymore. so go for it. if  i would have known that the failure rate was so high with the VBG i would have initially gone with the rny.  good luck to you angel
VBGMOM
on 2/11/08 10:34 am - DE
 Thank you everyone for your words of experience and encouragement.  I keep going back and forth on whether I should have another surgery or what I would do if the doctor saw something wrong with endoscope. Would I have emergency surgery. I think about how my family would be affected duing my recovery period. I worry about keeping order in my house (housekeeping, cleaning, cooking for family, shuttle kids to activities ...etc). I have two teenagers. My family is the world to me. I am not sure I have the support of many friends and even if they offer to help out if they really mean it. You see we have lived in Delaware for about three years now. I don't have that many close friends nearby. I worry about who will take care of my 71 year old mom while I am recovering. I am starting to make a list of things that need to be taken care of in the event I have surgery. Like assigning chores to the kids and having them acually carry the chores out. I  thank everyone for their words and keep them coming. I will update you on what is going on. I will try my hardest to keep up with my blog.
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/08 12:12 pm - TX
You need to talk to Bronwen who is off Naaman's road.  She hangs out on the DS board.
Bronwen
on 2/21/08 11:15 pm - Wilmington, DE
Hi! I don't know where in Delaware you are, but I'd love to get together and chat in person.  I'm not a revision, but I did have WLS (Duodenal Switch) and would love to know more people in my area that have had WLS, and maybe tell you about the DS, if you're interested. Coffee?  Lunch?  You tell me which you'd prefer.  I think some of the Delaware people (mainly RNY) are going to be getting together in Dover at the Golden Corral - I need to set a weekend.  Would you be interested in that?  I'll PM you with my cell - call if you want!
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

leslieanne729
on 2/11/08 8:29 pm

Just a quick note to inform newbie’s searching for info on Revision surgeries....have you looked into DS?  It's an option overlooked by many.  Go to the DS forum on OH and ask questions....we have quite a few revised to DS from other WLS

Come To The Dark Side We Have Cookies !!!!

Dr Greenbaum did my revision to DS, I see he was your original DR you should speak with him. Be.st of luck on your new journey

RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/08 10:53 am - Brampton, Canada
I had a VBG in 1987, and went from 260 down to 113 lbs for several years.  I had a revision to Lapband 22 months ago and went from 250 down to 121 lbs and love my band.  Best wishes on whatever surgery you decide on.
Most Active
Recent Topics