RNY TO SLEEVE?

L M
on 2/11/08 5:15 pm - MS
Do they do revisions from RNY to a sleeve?
Just Valena
on 2/12/08 3:13 am - Nunyabizness
I would try the folks on the sleeve board. I don't know much about the sleeve really, but from talking the DS folks, I don't know that this would be possible...the RNY makes you the pouch, but they leave the old stomach in. So maybe they make the sleeve from your old stomach? If you find out, I would be curious to know...

Vicki PNW
on 2/12/08 3:25 am
I know for sure that my surgeon did a MGB-to-VSG revision on one of our locals shortly after Thanksgiving last year.  He completely reversed her MGB (mini gastric bypass) and then created a vertical sleeved stomach.  I saw her several weeks ago, and she is recovering very well now and hopes to return to work real soon. I think that the stomach portion of the RNY can be reversed and then made into a vertical sleeved one.  But it would take a very experienced revision surgeon to do so.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

L M
on 2/12/08 1:22 pm - MS
Thanks for the replies. I really need to cut out that part of the stomachs that makes the hunger hormone!! I think it's gherlin. It will probably be a long ways off. I've re-gained 35 of my 90 lb loss. I hope I don't gain anymore!!!
melissak0813
on 2/13/08 5:51 am - Euless, TX
I am currently seeking this procedure.  I had my gastric bypass in 12/04 and lost 140-since then I have gained back 40 lbs.  I went and saw Dr. Barker in Dallas seeking a revision, not necessarily a sleeve, but that's what he suggested.  Now, I am just jumping through the insurance hoops.  Had to get another Psych eval..letter from my PCP,  and have since developed arthritis in my ankles..so, I'm going to see if my Orthopedic Surgeon will write up a letter as well.  
L M
on 2/13/08 12:17 pm - MS
I hope everything goes well for you. What BMI does your Insurance require for a revision?
~~Sami~~ *.
on 2/13/08 11:41 am - Jacksonville, FL
Laurie: Dr. Kim does the sleeve... why not ask him?? I'm wondering what they would do with the part of your intestines that come off of your pouch.  I'm not sure how that would work, to be honest.  Maybe you wouldn't have a true sleeve... but a modified RNY that had a portion of your stomach removed.  No idea.  I'd talk to Dr. Kim. The ghrelin factor is a great advantage with the sleeve... however, know that for many, hunger does come back to a certain extent around one year post-op. 

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active
Recent Topics