Fever 2 weeks post op

BJ M.
on 2/13/08 10:42 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
10 yrs ago I had the surgery with the staples which opened up a couple years ago.   On 1/30/08 I had revision surgery where most of my stomach was removed this time.  I initially recovered well and after 4 days in the hospital went home.  Last Friday I twisted at my waist to reach something and experienced pain that stayed with me.   I still have two draining tubes and the discharge from them didn't change in appearance.  Later that same night while I was getting up half-asleep to go to the bathoom, one of my drainage bags got caught under my pillow and it yanked and that hurt.   My opening where the draining tube is is still sore.   Today I have been shivering and it just dawned on me that I might have a fever.  I do and it is a little under102.  I live with my two high school kids.  I really do not want to wake my son up and have him drive me to the hospital tonight.   If my fever hasn't broken by the morning, I would much prefer to call my doctor's office and see if they want me to come in.  My discharge papers do say to call if a fever of over 101 develops post op so I am feeling a bit guilty pushing it like this.   Besides the fever, shivering and localized soreness I have no other symptoms so I am thinking this is probably surgery related.  Has this happened to anyone else and do you think it is safe for me to wait another 10 hours before taking action as long as my fever doesn't go any higher?
JeannieBVA1
on 2/13/08 11:02 am
I'm no Dr. and this is just my opinion...  It sounds like you have irritated the area's and that is natural to be sore.   If you can take medication for the fever, I would.  However I think you should watch it. Should you go over 103'  I would call your Dr.   You don't want to take a chance on something more serious like a staff infection, hernia, etc. Good luck
pepsi98
on 2/13/08 6:39 pm - Norwich, CT
I am an RN and I think you should call your MD IMMEDIATELY!!!!!  Any fever , related to a post op event that is 101 or more should be addressed ASAP!!!  You could have a wound infection that could ultimately lead down a very serious road.  CALL YOUR MD!!! Sue
Cheryl Gebbie
on 2/13/08 10:01 pm - Knoxville, TN
I agree with Pepsi you need to call the DOC ASAP ..... when I had my surgery in 2002 I was allergic to the latex in the tubing and it had to be removed ..but FEVERS are something yu dont want to play around with.  under 101 your body is fighting off the infection or something ...over that MUST be checked out it could be more serious.... Cheryl
Most Active
Recent Topics