Revision Surgery Available In Somerset, KY

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/08 12:39 pm
Hi Everyone!

My name is Cathi and I am the program director for Commonwealth Bariatric Center in Somerset, KY. I am very pleased to announce that we offer one of the most experienced bariatric surgery teams in Kentucky and surrounding states.

Commonwealth Bariatric Center is a hospital based, comprehensive program offering dietary consults, psychological examinations, consult with a physical therapist, education classes by a certified bariatric nurse, support group meetings and internet support group, led by the professional bariatric clinical team.

Our surgeons offer a variety of procedures including the latest procedure, the VERGITO. Also performed are the gastric bypass, adjustable gastric banding, duodenal switch, sleeve gastrectomy and revision surgery.

Our Bariatric Surgeons performing bariatric surgery exclusively at Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital: 

Dr. John D. Husted formerly of San Francisco, CA and Nashville, TN
Dr. Tommy Shelton
Dr. Rachel SHelton

To contact us for more information, please call us toll free at: 1.800.426.4285  Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm and beginning Monday 10/6/2008 our call center hours will be from 8am-11pm (Mon-Fri) to better accomodate your needs.

Cathi Roskind, RN, CBN
Bariatric Program Director and
Weight Loss Surgery Patient
Commonwealth Bariatric Center
Email: [email protected]
TF: 1.800.426.4285
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/08 2:02 pm - Elizabethtown, KY
Hi Cathi, u might be the lady Lori told me to call. Did she forward my email to u? I'm waiting to set up an appt with Dr Husted. Since I'll be a revision she said I don't have to do a seminar. I hope to hear from u soon and I'm really looking forward to talking with Dr Husted.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/08 11:31 am
Hey Angela. You and I had talked before. I thought you already had an appt set up with Dr. Husted. Did that fall through?

How's things?

Jill
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/08 12:36 pm - Elizabethtown, KY
Hi Jill, everythings cool. There was a bit of confusion about whether or not I'd have to do a seminar or not...I made an appt then someone called and said I'd have to do a seminar, then I found out from Lori that I did not have to do a seminar since I've had the rny and I'm a revision. I'm waiting on someone named Ellen to call me with my appt date just to meet him (no seminar) for Oct 23 or Oct 28 (I think thats what Lori said lol) I'm excited and ready to go....:)

Basically everything is good to go with me. I'm still having alot of heartburn, reflux issues. I had the scope done on 9/16 and he found some esophogatis (I know I misspelled that lol) and I think that is a fancy way of saying reflux...Dr Shina doesn't do revisions and has actually recommended I call Dr Husted's office, which is cool since I'd already done that..

How are things with u?
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/08 6:49 pm

I'm glad to hear your update!! You will be in before you know it!! You will love him also.

You know, when I had my upper GI, they found reflux also. I was shocked b/c I was not having heartburn. Guess what? Ever since I found out that I have reflux, I have heartburn. Funny!!

Definitely keep me posted on when you get to come down this way and see Dr. Husted!! I have thought about you several times, and wondered how your progress was.

Thanks,

Jill

pepsi98
on 10/2/08 9:09 am - Norwich, CT
Hi Cathi,
I've read so much about Dr. Husted...do you have plans available for patients that have to travel?  How many DS surgeries has Dr. H done?  I am appealing a denial that I got from BC/BS to put a band over my old gastric stapling from 1982, but I am intrigued by the DS and just  wonder sometimes if I should stick to the band over bypass as I have several co-morbids and it is less invasive than the DS obviously.  I wish I had a crystal ball and could be assured that I would make it through the surgery and go on to lose this weight and enjoy my life.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/08 10:20 am
I'm sure Cathi will be along shortly to answer your questions, but in the meantime, I have been to see Dr. Husted. I loved him. If I were you, I would at least talk to him. He told me that he'd done around/over 200 revisions, and who knows how many first time DS surgeries. Also, I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that the band could possibly be removed as a possible revision alternative. Did that make sense? In other words, getting the band over bypass might not be an option in the future, just due to poor results. Hope I'm not quoting anything wrong here.

Good Luck! Go with Dr. Husted, you will love him!

Jill
pepsi98
on 10/2/08 1:27 pm - Norwich, CT
I have heard that people who have had stapling/RNY typically  do better than 1st time bandsters-- as a matter of fact I have  also heard that in Europe, MD's are putting in the band at the time of RNY surgery for the future.  Since I've already been denied for the band over the stapling and am now having to appeal, I wonder how many hoops I'd have to jump over to get them to approve a DS?
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/08 6:54 pm
You know what? You might be exactly right. It's definitely something I considered in the past. I have read from both sides....those who've had the revision and done fantastic, and those just the opposite. I can't even remember where I read that about the band, so it might be wrong, that's why I wanted to make sure I said that above. That was the only tidbit from what I read that stuck with me!! Didn't want to give out false info.

I'm not sure how many hoops you would have to jump through for the DS revision, but I hear Dr. Husted's insurance person, Ellen is top notch!! I think the DS is the better long term revision for me. I hope insurance comes through and I don't have to fight to hard. How long ago did you get denied for the band?

Thanks,
Jill 
Tabitha70
on 10/2/08 12:24 pm
I'm also seeking a revision with Dr. Husted from RNY to DS.  I just have to wait for my phone consultation appointment to talk with him as I live far away. 
Is the 200 number for revisions in general?  I'd like to know how many RNY to DS revisions he has performed.
Most Active
Recent Topics