Gastro-Gastric Fistula

mfiscella
on 4/26/09 12:18 am
Hi everyone, thanks for reading. I was wondering if anyone had revision surgery for a gastro-gastric fistula? I went to my Dr. and that's what I had so I was going to have it fixed. I know that a revision is not something to take lightly. Any input on this? Recovery time? Anything would really help, good or bad! Thanks again
~~Melissa S~~
on 4/29/09 10:53 am - El Paso, TX
Hi,

I also have a gastro fistula, I have three of them acutally. I had a RYN in 2004. this past year I have gained about 16lbs, and 11 of them in the past 6mos.  I am really interested in getting it fixed but have no idea about any of the questions you asked and would love to know if you got any feedback.  How did you find out about yours?  I had an endoscopy done because of acid reflux.  ]

I can not afford to be off work for too long and I would need insurance to cover it.

Thanks!
LosingSally
on 4/29/09 5:44 pm
Could you tell me if your original surgery completely seperated your pouch from the remnant stomach? In other words, cut them apart, and closed each up separately. Surgeons used to simply put 3 rows of staples to divide the stomach, but more recently somple severing of the pouch from the rest is the usual thing. I think the gastric-gastro fistula is a rare thing.
Best wishes for your solution.
~~Melissa S~~
on 4/29/09 9:53 pm - El Paso, TX
Hi,. My surgeon said I was completed transected which I understood to mean that the pouch and the old stomach were completely cut apart and each closed up.  My surgeon has done over 5k RYN's and said I am the first patient he has seen who acutally got a fistula.   I am one of those poeple who tends to have complications...dont ask my why, but just seems like if it can happen it does with me,  Do you have any expierence with a fistula?

Thanks
S Andrews
on 5/1/09 1:25 pm - eatonville, WA
I am in the same boat. I had surgery in 2005. I lost 55 lbs then stopped losing. I started putting weight back on after about 1 year. Last summer I went to another surgeon as mine no longer does the surgery. I found that even tho I had my stomache completely severed, it had reattached itself to the small pouch. When the Dr did the EGD he found that I had a fistuala - scar tissue from an infection was over the opening going into the jeujenum and most of my food was now going into the deuodenum. I was told nothing could be done for me and that I would just have to live with it the way it is. Not very comforting and I'm still looking for answers. I have no idea what the ramifications will be in the future!
Good luck with finding answers to your questions. I'm sorry I can't help you- I can  only sympathize with you and your situation.
italygrl22
on 3/25/15 9:01 am, edited 3/25/15 10:09 pm

I had roux en y in 2005 and lost 115 pounds. I kept all the weight off until I had a baby in 2011. I have since gained 40 pounds. I recently had an upper gi, ct of abdomen and a endoscopy. The upper gi showed a hiatal hernia. The ct scan showed a leak (possible fistula) from my pouch to the excluded stomach. And the endoscopy didn't show a fistula. I am always hungry now after I eat and I eat very healthy and just deal with 95% of the time and ignore them. I can't seem to lose weight no matter what I do. I'm thinking about going to another surgeon for a second opinion since my surgeon  said there's nothing to do at this time. My pouch is 7 centimeters. Does anyone know if it should be smaller?  Has anyone had a fistula and had these tests to diagnose it?  Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Chilipepper
on 3/26/15 2:26 pm

Your doctor is wrong.  It can be and must be fixed. The simplest repair and any experienced revision surgeon can do it.  They do a gastrectomy and repair the pouch. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

italygrl22
on 3/27/15 11:53 am

hi,

my ct scan showed fluid in my excluded stomach from that stuff they make you drink.  my upper endoscopy did not show any disruption in my staple line and their report states they are in tact.  how can that be?

and my dr said there is nothing to be done at this time based on the endoscopy report.

i'm hungry all the time even after i eat what i know should be enough to not feel hungry 

thank you

Chilipepper
on 3/28/15 6:13 am

A fistula isn't necessarily on the staple line. If the contrast you drank ended up in your blind stomach there is a issue.  Is this the same doctor who did your origional surgery? You need to seek out a second opinion from a surgeon experienced with revisions. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

italygrl22
on 3/28/15 6:25 am

My surgeon sent me to this gastrointerologist to perform the endoscopy. That gastro told me the staple line looked on but my surgeon may suggest surgery to further investigate and he put in his report cannot rule out fistula. 

Then when I spoke to my bypass dr he said since the endoscopy showed staples are intact there wasn't anything to do at this time. 

Most Active
Recent Topics