Post-op Update!! YAY!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/09 5:54 am - San Diego, CA
Hi everyone!!

Well, all went well in Mexico (surgery 5/28/09/) and I have been home recovering now for over a week. I am now officially a bandster (Allergan 10cm)!!  My surgeon and his staff were AMAZING...I mean, truly remarkable and the whole experience exceeded my expectations beyond belief.  My surgeon initiated the procedure laproscopically but once he was in there he came across a great deal of scar tissue everywherefrom the old RNY .  As such, he converted the procedure to open surgery, removed all of the surrounding scar tissue and placed my band and port as planned.  I knew that scenario was a possibility going into this and although the pain is much worse & the recovery longer with the open procedure, I am glad to have had everything in there "cleaned up" for a fresh start with my band over bypass.

The doctors, nurses & staff that tended to me were phenomenal...very attentive and compassionate.  Not to mention, they really went out of their way to make sure my Mom (who accompanied me) was taken care of too by running to grab her meals/snacks/drinks, clean towels for showering, linens, taking her to get my prescriptions filled, etc., which was a pleasant surprise as we were worried how she would be able to navigate & order food lacking basic Spanish skills. (She seriously thought that there would be goats and chickens outside of the clinic or something, no media access, dirty brown water, etc...lololol).  Anyhow, I had a VERY rough first 2 nights with my pain but managed to get through it with meds and good care.  My surgeon asked me to stay 1 extra night as he did not feel comfortable discharging me as originally scheduled. 

Since I had 5 lap-incisions AND the open sternum-to-belly-button incision, the gas was horrific (OMGGGGGGGGG I felt like I was going to die) and I thought it would never cease, but thank goodness it did on about day 7 of my recovery.  My surgeon's office has called me 3 times since I have been home to check on how I am doing (again, much to my amazement) and to see if I have any questions, make sure I have been following my diet & walking, etc.  It's pretty sad that I am surprised about that but my first WLS experience in the USA was wholly different and and he was a well-known WLS in San Diego.  (Don't get me wrong - Not to say he & his staff were "bad" or anything, but just not as compassionate and diligent with follow-ups (I got none) for some reason, is all. He was a fab surgeon too.)

I started mushies on Friday and have been tolerating things well but deliberately moving at a snail's pace with my diet progression.  I am doing things differently this time I have decided...weighing everything I put in my mouth, keeping a food journal, making deliberate, conscious decisions, etc...AND will only weigh myself every other Sunday. 

Needless to say, today was my first post-op weigh-in and am THRILLED to say that I have lost 10 pounds!!!  What a difference 2 weeks makes...weight from 187 to 177...BMI from 29.1 to 27.7...Body Fat from 35.6% to 33.0%.  I am so excited to get back in the gym in a couple of weeks and also to get my first fill.  It's all UPHILL from here and I am finally sitting on the loser's bench again!!!    While I understand the weight loss will be much slower this time around, I could care LESS because I know that every single ounce is gone FOR GOOD and that is exciting.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support!!!  I am SO thankful that I found OH when I started this revision journey as it has really helped me in my decision making and the support & knowledge received is invaluable.

brandyII
on 6/7/09 7:25 am
Good luck with your band and your recovery.  Going through all the lapro and then ending up having it done open must have been painful.  It just has me thinking though, I had the band and had it removed and will get my RNY this week.  What if my RNY fails (God forbid) and I end up with a band over mine again yikes!!!!!!!  Take care Nancy.
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/09 8:15 am - San Diego, CA
OMG I know right...talk about a vicious cycle!!  I am sure you will do fine, howewer, and reap the benefits of the RNY forever if you are committed to your success.  I truly think everyone does differently with each procedure.  Unfortunately, my bad decisions caused my pouch/stoma to stretch which I  can only fix through a revision.  I know better now for sure!!

Good luck Nancy!!
brandyII
on 6/7/09 9:12 am
Thanks Lisa you too!  Nancy
mew6495
on 6/7/09 10:37 am - MI
 Congratulations Lisa!  I am glad to hear you are on the other side and back at home resting.  I hope this revision is everything you need it to be.  I am sure you will do fantastic!

JROLFSON
on 6/8/09 6:28 am - St. George, UT

Lisa:

I guess I've been out of the loop 3 weeks to long. I had no idea your procedure was so soon.

How great, your already revised...10 lbs is very good!!! Good luck to you and keep us up to date.

Janie

JeannieBVA1
on 6/12/09 10:45 pm
Lisa B...

Good to see your post and hear your doing so well...

I've been off the computer for a while... Juts busy w/ life..  I put a post on just now about my updated weight loss with my band... check it out..

I'm really shocked to hear you experience was so well in Mexico.... I would have been afraid to do that but I'm glad you've set the record straight.

What city/state do you live?   I'm in Richmond Virginia.

Take care,
Jeannie
Strawberry2
on 6/15/09 10:00 am
I am so happy for you - wishing you a speedier recovery - keep us posted
Jo -319h/202l - 240h/237sd/218.5c/190goal
Arnold H. Glasgow

Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip.

Most Active
Recent Topics