VSG to RNY

LaShelle2
on 12/7/09 11:45 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Joanne you are blessed to have such a diplomatic surgeon.  He could have easily just took your money and given you the rny, but he looked out for your best interest.

My DS was lap, and I would always reccomend lap if it is an option. Does your revision surgeon know how to do lap, or is there a medical reason why he has to do it open?  

If medically you can have lap, then consider a consult with someone trained to do the lap, and compare your options before you have the surgery.   I know we always want the easiest, closest, quickest, cheapest.  But this is your life and your health. This is not the time to be making concessions.   I drove 5 hours away to have my DS because I would not settle for open. 

You deserve the best, most advanced, most well trained surgeon you have access to.  

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/09 5:03 am - , NJ

The surgeon I am using is very experienced in the DS.  He just doesn't do revisions lap.  My original surgeon when I was converting to a bypass also told me open.  It's easier to get to where they need to be.  I've been sleeved for 2 1/2 years and they are going to tighten up my sleeve. 

Joanne

Kerry J.
on 12/9/09 1:13 am - Santa Clara, UT
Joanne,

I wouldn't be to concerned about open or LAP, open is no big deal; I've had three open surgeries and the wound from the open incision just isn't a big deal. It's going to be healed up in a week or two and with an open surgery you don't have any possibility of the gas pain you can get with LAP.

I wouldn't let the type of surgery determine what kind of a revision you get; get the revision that's best for you long term. You're going to be living with the results of your surgery for the rest of your life, a little extra time to get the incision wound healed up won't mean anything after a couple of months.

Kerry
Jade ..
on 12/7/09 10:16 am - GA
 Yes, please talk to Dr. Smith's office.  He's amazing and would be able to provide you a very objective opinion since he does all four surgeries.  If I can answer any questions for you, please PM me.   :)  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

katrinaha
on 12/7/09 10:31 am - Houston, TX
Sabrina, I would be very surprised if half of these posters have had a revision because if they had they would certainly understand the pain and the hard choices and in some cases, like mine, emergency surgery to make me well again. I have been on  the revision board many times and have never seen such opinionated posts. DS's WTF? Please go to the RNY board where you will get the information you need to be educated and comfortable with YOUR decision. I now weigh a whooping 142 pounds and am finally healthily.....RNY rocks!   Please Sabrina, don't take the one post that's says are you kidding me serious!!!!!!!!  I am a almost 5 year veteran on this and I know what it means to have a the good, the bad and the ugly opinions, but not just one sided.  Take care, the best of YOUR choice.  Peace.....Katrina    Oh yes, I had to have 3/4 of my stomach removed because of the VBG that was screwed up.
strawberry28
on 12/7/09 9:49 pm - somewhere, MD
Before you give advise to others about this, you really should become more educated.  This is not about DS vs. RNY.  She already has a sleeve.  Why in holy hell would you advise or suggest to someone that they have their stomach cut up again.  I'm sure your RNY rocks, but that's not even the point.

VBG and VSG are different ya know...
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

katrinaha
on 12/8/09 10:01 am - Houston, TX
When did you have your revision? I had to have an emergency RNY and am doing AWESOME...all about choice baby....good luck to you.   Yes, I do know the difference between VBG and VSG.....very educated on the subject.

Katrina
Kerry J.
on 12/10/09 7:55 am - Santa Clara, UT
Katrina,

I got a revision from RNY to DS on Sept. 17, 2008. I lived with RNY for 28 years, I know full well what RNY is all about. When I was only 5 years out, I still thought it was good, but it had started to wear on me. The dumping, food sticking and feeling deprived because I couldn't eat anything sweet or even drink a glass of milk just wears and wears on you. Even so, I managed to keep the weight off for about 15 years with diet and exercise. When I got sick and couldn't exercise the weight came back and I never could get control again. 

RNY may ROCK for you right now, but it SUCKS ROCKS compared to the DS. I've had both and I know what I'm talking about LONG TERM. Come see me in another 10 years and we will see if you still think it ROCKS; I'll bet not.

Kerry
Donna C.
on 12/16/09 1:14 pm - Durham Region, Canada
Um aren't you only a year and a half out from your DS??? 

To use your own words "come see me in another 10 years and we will see if you still think your DS rocks"!! 

HW/SW/CW/Orig GW/New GW   328/311/161/153/142   LOVE my RNY!!!!      

Kerry J.
on 12/17/09 1:08 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I'll be happy to do just that; we can compare results. Should be very interesting to see how well you like RNY in 10 years as well.

Kerry

Most Active
Recent Topics