Who wants a choking collar called Lap Band

living_on_the_edge
on 5/24/10 7:13 am, edited 5/24/10 7:21 am - Calgary, Canada
I posted this Blog on www.slimband.com a web site thats operated by Prince arthur clinic Toronto.And they removed my Blog and restrict my ID from posting blog but i am sure there are few slim band's lap bander's on this site as well.

(Please note this is my personal experience and depicts my own opinion ,research and comments.)

Choking collar
I rushed into my decision and i dnt want other folks to do the same ,I had the lap band done march 2009 lost over 100lbs was very happy untill the fill unfill journey started.A month ago i had 4 unfills and even then i was unable to eat Solids.It is a very common condition.
Now some facts that your doctor would not tell you.
You do not feel full the pain cause you to stop eating.
No matter how much you chew band could be very unpredictable.
You will have scar tissue and eventually dilated upper pouch
In some cases surgeons during removal of band even have seen damage lever cause of the constant rubbing of the implant to lever.
The weather altitude and depression effects on the restriction.
There is no one sweet spot life long fills and unfills are necessary
Band means to come out its not permanent due to complications the worst is erosion which could be fatal.

The lap band (Slimband) uses is called Cousin bio tech's BIORING its a french version of lapband

The biggest web site on internet which has the most information about weight loss surgery is Obesityhelp.com which has information about all procedures and if you go on the revision form of obesityhelp.com you will find out the most of the people who had lap bands are getting revisions Lap band is a choking collar and very unpredictable in terms of restriction.PLz plz plz do the research and see the stats there are many procedures which are better than lap band.Europe has already been abandon l.lap band surgery.My surgeon who did my lap band removal had performed Double the amount of lap band's than Dr. Patrick Yau and he said he has stopped doing it due the failure rates.The maximum life of the band is 10 years and he said you are very lucky if you could keep it for that long.He said he has removed more than 50 % in first 5 years.So please fellows it your body its your life do your research.Slimband

does massive massive advertisement for lap band like many other clinics and centers,its not there fault it is business for them we need to do our research before spending that kind of money and putting our self into that kind of risks.
Do the research About gastric sleeve ,DS,RNY .
Gastric sleeve has some exellence weight loss data and intestines are not rerouted.
RNY is considered Gold standard bariatric surgery because we have the longest data on RNY the patient who had it done the longest is 30 years post op.
DS is considered Platinium standard weight loss because of the highest ratio of Keeping the weight of.
I have no personal interest in making people change their decision ,but by God the only purpose is to make every one understand the part which no one explained me i have a lot of Failed lap band friends and if one out of you change their mind and make wise decision my time is well worth than.
Wish all of you luck ,My prays for you and my heart goes out to all who had painful lap band journey.

SW 245lbs           CW 168LBS          GW??
KristeyK
on 5/26/10 7:12 am - AZ
Oh I cannot WAIT to get this damned band OUT!!! Shame on them for not allowing a differing experience on there. It seems like false advertisement. The fact that I have the band is my OWN fault. My surgeon, God bless him, really did try to talk me out of it. (STUPID STUPID STUPID!)
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/10 12:13 pm - NJ
I feel that it is false advertising too.  My choke chain made my life a living hell for 8 months.  So glad to have it gone.

I do know some successful people, but no one is near goal.
Jenee M.
on 7/15/10 2:56 pm - Bakersfield, CA
DS on 06/12/12
Choke Chain is the perfect word.  I've filled and unfilled and never have found the "just right" spot.  I lost 70 lbs initially but have gained all but about 25 back.  Please, please, everyone listen to what we all have to say.....Do some true research, not the propaganda advertising put out their on commercials.  I have never thrown up so much in my entire life.  I cannot keep anything more than cereal down.  I choke on anything solid, like chicken and salads.  I can't even consider eating steak or burger.  I turned to eating foods that melted in my mouth and didn't make me throw up.  Ice cream, fudgesicles.  I hope I never eat another smoothie again in my entire life!  Bread is absolutely off limits.  I have an appt next Thurs to open it up all the way.  I've got to decide what to do with the band after that.  

Bless you folks that are trying to cope with the choke chain.  Beware those of you who have not had it yet, but are contemplating it.  I know too many others who are in the same place I am.  In fact, I've never personally met one of those persons who lost over 100 lbs on the lapband. 

J Morris

charleston-mom
on 7/16/10 2:07 am
Don't even get me started. I think lapband is unbelievably dangerous, and is a terrible, terrible advertising ploy for something that doesn't work, breaks people's hearts, and destroys their health. I wish I had picked RNY first. The years with my lapband were some of the worst years of my life. Two slips, erosion through the stomach wall, band disintigrating in pieces, embedded in my stomach, lost teeth from vomiting, damage to my esophagus. It goes on and on. I think there should be criminal charges against the manufacturers of lapband and anyone that puts one into another human being's body.

Can you tell I don't like lapband? LOL!
JRinAZ
on 7/16/10 3:26 am - Layton, UT
On July 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:
Don't even get me started. I think lapband is unbelievably dangerous, and is a terrible, terrible advertising ploy for something that doesn't work, breaks people's hearts, and destroys their health. I wish I had picked RNY first. The years with my lapband were some of the worst years of my life. Two slips, erosion through the stomach wall, band disintigrating in pieces, embedded in my stomach, lost teeth from vomiting, damage to my esophagus. It goes on and on. I think there should be criminal charges against the manufacturers of lapband and anyone that puts one into another human being's body.

Congratulations on your success!!!

It struck me that many of us could exchange the verbage in your post from lapband to Rny as the negative and Rny to DS as the fix!  Obviously other's mileage varies with surgery experiences.    The Rny was awful to me and for me and though I lost a lot of weight (got to a goal weight) initially....I ended up with miserable experiences past the 3 year post-op mark and a huge regain. 

My 3rd revision finally got it right!  The DS totally rocks!  My wish for all is that they could skip the long road I've been on and revise ONCE!

Respectfully, I can just mirror your own words with a few changes and say,

"Can you tell I don't like the RNY? "

I hope we can both stay on the "successful" and healthy path!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

charleston-mom
on 7/16/10 3:32 am
On July 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On July 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:

Congratulations on your success!!!

It struck me that many of us could exchange the verbage in your post from lapband to Rny as the negative and Rny to DS as the fix!  Obviously other's mileage varies with surgery experiences.    The Rny was awful to me and for me and though I lost a lot of weight (got to a goal weight) initially....I ended up with miserable experiences past the 3 year post-op mark and a huge regain. 

My 3rd revision finally got it right!  The DS totally rocks!  My wish for all is that they could skip the long road I've been on and revise ONCE!

Respectfully, I can just mirror your own words with a few changes and say,

"Can you tell I don't like the RNY? "

I hope we can both stay on the "successful" and healthy path!
I think the DS is great surgery. My insurance didn't cover it or I might have considered it. It's probably first, with RNY a close second, then sleeve and then anything else but band - ha ha!
suz11e
on 7/21/14 1:58 am - Canada

I have had choking problems, coughing and ear ache problems and gave up defills and refills. No one acknowledged my concerns. So it this why. It wasn't other problems. I want to try again after 2 years and getting the run around and said Dr Yau doesn't work at clinic there when I saw a post stating he was. Do I bother anymore and am I in danger of keeping it in. Will it work better trying again. I cannot some good fav. fruit and veggies very well. I had to take iron pills and a vitamin I was missing. I am not a big protein eater.

pineview01
on 7/22/14 2:12 pm - Davison, MI

This is a four year old thread.  Many, many people have had to have theirs removed for your same issues.  Find another surgeon if possible.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Dale Elaine S.
on 8/10/10 2:01 am - Moultrie, GA
You hit the nail on the head!  I had mine removed last month after 28 months.  It was a fill/unfill rollercoaster. I was either too loose or too tight.  Could only eat soft foods (mainly junk).  Ended up in the hospital for emergency band removal because my whole stomach had come above the band and the band was choking my stomach.  6 days in the hospital. :(    

Lapband 2/25/08; Removed 6/26/10;
      Don't know what to do now

Most Active
Recent Topics