New Here,,, Going in for LapBand Revision to Gastric Bypass

amberd910
on 4/3/11 11:26 am - CT
I had LapBand done on 12/23/2008 and I lost a total of 32 lbs with the band (in 2 1/2 years)! I felt like a failure as I know people who lost well over 100 pounds from this surgery. From day one I was always hungry and had severe acid reflux. I had the 14cc band and at one point, it was so tight I was unable to swallow my own spit and had to go back to the dr for an emergency un-fill. Then last May, on our vacation to Disney, my acid reflux was so bad, I would sit there, not even have eaten anything, and would just reflux everywhere. I was in a ton of pain. I had to go to the dr the day we returned and they drained my band. I have also had pain where my port is since my surgery. I tried telling my dr all of these things and his response was that I have to work with them, the band is a tool.
Well, needless to say, I gained 25 lbs back in almost a year. I eat healthy and I try to excersise. But I know the band did not work with me. I was always hungry with the band and even more so once it was drained.
I was finally able to find a terriffic dr in my area that accepts my insurance. I saw him the middle of February and he spent close to an hour going over all my options with me. I chose to have a LapBand revision to Gastric Bypass. So on March 3 I was sent for an endoscopy to make sure he could proceed with the revision once he removes the band (otherwise we would have to take the band out, let my stomach heal for a few months and reevaluate). Well, great news! I was approved on 3/31 for surgery and on 4/1 I heard my OR time will be on April 27th.

So I guess I will be kind of lurking around here for a while. If anyone has had this procuedure done if you can let me know of your outcome I would really appreciate it. I plan to take 1 1/2 weeks off of work (desk job) but I was just given a promotion at work so I can't really afford to take any more time off even though I can have it if I need it.
Also, I am wondering if I will be hungry after surgery like I was with the LapBand. I mean, my mother came to visit me in the hospital and I was crying telling her what did I do? Becfause I was starving and I was given the carnation instant breakfast (2 oz) which I was supposed to sip on for 20 mins! And that was supposed to fill me up!

Thanks again!

Amber :)
TamaraL
on 4/3/11 12:43 pm
amber,

I am a revision.  Go to my profile and read how it has been for me.  I had severe acid reflux with the band even when I had 0 fill.  I also had pain around my stomach to the point I told doc either he was going to have to remove band or I was going to remove it myself. 

You will not be hungry post op.  When I had the lap band I was always hungry.  Now some people say they are never hungry.  Hate to be the breaker of bad news but there are days where you are going to be starving  and other days when you dont want to eat. 

The biggest thing that helped me was to look at this as a do over.  Everything I did wrong with the lap band I have tried to do right with the bypass.  I did very good with the lap band until I stopped losing and then I got to the point that I ddin't care and I became a big time grazer. 

Look at this experience as a do over.  Really look at why you didn't succeed with the band.  80% of mine was the band and the reflux.  20% was behaviors.

Don't depend on dumping with the RNY because only 30% of people dump.  I dump on very strange things.  I have to be very careful and right now I am back on metformin to help me with the dumping. 

Private message me if you have other questions.

Tamara

ckb70
on 4/3/11 9:42 pm - Morrisville, PA
My surgery date is April 12th to have my band removed and to have the sleeve.  I'm so excited that I am getting a second chance.  The band was a bad experience for me as for you.  What a horrible feeling not to be able to swallow your own spit. 

The time it happened to me it was just after a fill and I took my kids to the mall...promised my son a new video game.  I had to stop at every garbage can to spit...how embarrassing!  Then had to go back to the doctors office to get some removed.  It was really weired because just after the fill I sat in the doctor's office sipping on a cup of water like you are supposed to do and all was fine, then an hour later I could not swallow my own spit...horrid! 

Good luck to you! 

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Tonya0531
on 4/3/11 10:23 pm - Lake, MS
Good morning Amber,
So weird, I came on here this morning to discuss the same thing.  I had the band in 2008 as well, lost 70 lbs, then one bad fill and I couldn't swallow my own spit so I know where you are.  Now I eat "sliders" and have gained almost everything back.  I will be having a revision on April 25th to bypass. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time.  I just don't have the support at home that I need. He has watched me puke everytime I eat for over a year now and just wants it gone.   I will send you a personal message with my information.  If you want to keep in touch, I think we could be great support for each other! 
Tonya
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
k_podski
on 4/4/11 7:47 am
Hi all,
Just wanted to chime in as well.. I was banded 3/19/08 and am now in the process of revision to GB.. I am nervous and excited. I originally lost 60lbs and have gained 30 back with my complications. I am having testing done next weeke to see if the band has slipped again (for insurance purposes as well as getting my surgery quicker. I am over this band, I have had the same issues with port pain, throwing up  daily, and starving.. I have to do a psych eval again and 2 more nutrition visits.. But I'm finally well on my way. It's nice to see others with similar situations, especially when you feel so alone!.. I don't post often, but I'm here often reading away:) Best of luck to the upcoming surgeries! Keep us posted!
Amy_Kleve
on 4/4/11 8:42 am - Adrian, MN
Lap-Band wasnt the right tool for me either!! I didnt have reflux or anything. I did have an issue where I couldnt drink water. But, now Im doing fine. Just never lost any weight.

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Holly O.
on 4/6/11 5:47 am - FL
Hi Amber,

I had the lapband Nov 3/06 and haven't beenthat successful either.  I am in the process of getting with the sugeon t do the RNY.  Hang in there!!  We are \in the same boat!!  -Holly
Most Active