In the hospital, vomiting blood and blood clots

amberd910
on 6/6/11 10:37 am - CT
I know I don't post here often but I can really use some support. I am 4 weeks out tomorrow from a revision from band to gastric. Saturday night I started having some stomach pain. I ignored it. It got worse yesterday and even more painful today. I called my dr and he thought it was due to constipation or something I ate. So I picked up what he recommend for constipaton and was going to take that tonight. Well, around 1:30 at work I started getting mid-back pain. I decided when I got out of work I'd go to the ER. I knew something wasn't right. So right after I signed in, I ran to the bathroom and threw up blood and blood clots. I told the admitting nurse so she can have me "cut the line" as the ER was on a 2 hr waitting time. So about 3 mins later I ran back into the bathroom and vomited even more this time. They got me right in to triage and I threw up again. Each time before I would throw up I started
Sweating, lightheaded, nauseous. Well I am now on a double iv (2 bags going at once) and they are giving me Nexium which seems to help. I already take Prevacid daily. So they are admitting me due to the amount of blood I vomited. I am scheduled for an endoscopy in the morning. My liver enzymes are elevated too so thy are keeping an eye on it all.
So I am sitting here waiting for my room typing on my iPhone.
So please people, if you feel off or not right, don't ignore your body.

Thanks for reading,
Amber
dustysheba
on 6/6/11 1:31 pm
Amber, That is so scary to hear. I had the lap band back in Sept. but it isnt working for me so my doctor has put me down for a revision to gastric bypass and I am waiting to hear back from my insurance. After reading your post I am scared, maybe I should think about it some more. I was originally set up for the gastric and changed my mind and went with the band but I am not losing the weight. I will keep you in my prayers.
heathercross
on 6/7/11 9:41 pm - New York, NY
Amber, please be well. I had a friend with a clot after RNY and she almost died. It is serious **** I agree, trust your body and if something isn't right speak up. Where is your doctor now? Has he seen you at the hospital?
smileyjamie72
on 6/8/11 9:45 am - Palmer, AK
Amber,

It is now Wednesday..... How are you doing now?  How did your EGD go?

Please keep us posted, OK?
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

amberd910
on 6/8/11 9:53 am - CT
thanks everyone for the well wishes. I was released today. It appears after an ultrasound and endoscopy I had an ulcer that ruptured. The dr said it may or may not be from surgery since I was taking Prevacid daily.
So now I am on Nexium daily and an ulcer healing medication 4 times a day, both for 12 weeks.
I have to make a followup appt with the GI dr, which in about 12 weeks I will be scoped again to see if the ulcer has healed.
I am a little anemic right now and with the meds and not eating alot I have been dizzy/nauseous. The dr said give it a few days for my body to get used to the meds.
So that's it in a nutshell.
nkara
on 6/9/11 10:04 am
 OMG you scared the crap out of me!   I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious.  I am also going towards a revision from the band.  I had mine a little over a year and a half ago and I have had little success and now since January I have had problem after problem.   

I'm so glad you are out of the hospital and feeling better. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

HelloKitty_4211
on 8/9/11 3:09 pm
I had almost the exact same thing last year, vomiting blood (and blood out the other way too) and it was from Advil use.  Be very careful with NSAIDS if you've had gastric bypass.  My gastro doctor forbids me to ever even look at NSAIDS again.
Most Active