Hoping for a revision soon with Dr. Jossart.......would love some input

tululahh
on 8/26/11 1:17 am, edited 8/26/11 1:18 am
Hi I had a VSG in 2006. LOVED it!!!  I lost about 130 lbs. At my year anniversary I  found out I was pregnant. YAY! It took us 16 years to get pregnant so it was a huge blessing. Without the sleeve it would not have happend.  So here I am with the weight back on and I want a revision. I feel awful about myself and try to avoid all those people who haven't seen me in awhile. I want to enjoy going to the pool, running and playing with my son etc. I so HATE being the FAT one at the party.  I have an appointment on 9/9 with my dr. and we are going to do an upper GI to see what my tummy looks like and then go from there. I never had any complications from the sleeve and after researching it looks like the DS may be the best option and less risky than getting the sleeve made smaller.  I am self pay. Just wondering what anyones thoughts were? Anyone go from the VSG only to DS? any other ideas out there?
Thank you for taking the time to read ;)
Jamie
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 7:19 am, edited 8/26/11 7:38 am - San Jose, CA
I hope you are not setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.  As we DSers tell prospective VSGers over and Over and OVER again, the sleeve and switch seem to work synergistically.  You are NOT likely to get the results with switch 5 years later (and all your weight regained) as you would have gotten if you'd done the DS in the first place - and probably not by a long shot.

No, for this I have no studies.  This is purely anecdotal information (won't even call it evidence), including what DS surgeons like Rabkin and Keshishian have said.  But go ask on the DS board, and you will hear the same thing.

Non-MO diabetics who just get the switch to cure their diabetes initially lose about 25 lbs, and then regain most of it.  The new sleeve is what generates the majority of the weight loss, and the switch fixes the metabolism, making it easier to stay at a lower weight.

And resleeving is DANGEROUS, far more dangerous than the initial sleeving.  The surgeon has to make a smaller sleeve out of stretched out muscle tissue, and must completely remove the prior staple line.  The risks of leaks and strictures are quite significant.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I will say it again for the benefit of the newbies who are reading this, and especially those who think they can get the sleeve and "just add the switch later" if it does't work for them:

THINK TWICE, CUT ONCE!!
MsBatt
on 8/26/11 7:26 am
Non-MO diabetics who just get the sleeve to cure their diabetes initially lose about 25 lbs

I believe you meant to say "who just get the switch", didn't you?
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/11 7:40 am - San Jose, CA
Oops, yup.  Friday afternoon brain fry.  Thanks!
Most Active