Cross Post Problems eating

MARTINA P.
on 8/27/11 4:02 am - ROCKMART, GA
 OK it took alot for me to come to the website again and ask questions.  I had DS surgery was converted to distal RNY and now I have no stomach.  I need help trying to figure out what to eat and training my body to eat.  Since they took my stomach I feel funny when I eat and have not found anything to help me with this.  Look before you ask I am not asking my doctor or nut because they seem not to understand what I am going through.   Please help. 
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Hislady
on 8/27/11 11:09 am - Vancouver, WA
Martina I'm so sorry for the problems you've had, that must be miserable. I hope some of the DSers or RNYers will come to your aid, you might post on their forums since there are some very sharp folks on both forums. If they don't tho hon please contact your doc at least and let him know what problems you are having. It's his obligation to help you thru this! I wish you the best and hope someone comes to help you!
mini_me_ now
on 8/28/11 4:38 pm, edited 8/28/11 4:45 pm
I found this online looking under total gasterectomy so there might be some stuff in here that will help you..

Life after Surgery

The goal after surgery is to find a “new normal." In the beginning, eating can be uncomfortable and even painful, and many must force themselves to eat. Hunger as we know it no longer exists. It is replaced by feelings of weakness and emptiness. At first eating is out of necessity, then habit, but eventually the desire to eat returns.

Many people experience symptoms 30-60 minutes after eating caused by rapid entry of food into the small intestine. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, cramps, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and feeling full after eating only a small amount. Later symptoms may occur 90 minutes to 3 hours after eating caused by a rapid rise in blood sugar and then a rapid decrease in blood sugar. These symptoms may include sweating, fast heart-rate, and weakness, feeling tired or mental confusion. Nausea, heartburn and gas are also common.

Most symptoms can be controlled through eating habits and dietary changes. To avoid symptoms it is necessary to eat 6-8 small meals daily to avoid eating too much at one time. Drinking 1 hour before or after a meal rather than with a meal is recommended. Eating small amounts of food, taking small bites and thoroughly chewing is a must. Food tolerance varies by individual; learning is through trial and error. Few can tolerate foods high in sugar.

Permanent weight loss of 20% of total body weight will typically occur within the first 6 months. Due to this rapid weight loss many develop gall stones, ultimately requiring removal of the gallbladder. Osteoporosis becomes a concern. Maintaining proper vitamin levels is a challenge. Chewable vitamins help, as will occasional iron infusions. Monthly B12 shots are critical as it is impossible to absorb B12 without a stomach. Consuming enough calories to maintain activity levels can be difficult. Nutritious, high calorie, low sugar foods provide the best bang for the bite. Hmmm, just finding that can be a challenge!

It may take one to two years, but eventually the body seems to adjust to the absence of the stomach. Preventive Total Gastrectomy is considered curative for HDGC. The best part about life after surgery . . . is life!

here is a link to the foods they suggest you should  eat after a total gasterectomy..

http://www.nostomachforcancer.org/gastric-cancer/life-without-a-stomach/special-concerns/what-foods-should-i-eat

Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

MARTINA P.
on 8/28/11 9:12 pm - ROCKMART, GA
 Thank you so much for this article I guess I have a long road to follow
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

stargazer12
on 8/29/11 4:27 am - AZ
Had a weird gastric stapling 19 years ago. Included putting mesh over the entry to the pouch. Gave me lots of problems. Had a revision done 10 days ago to an RNY. Surgeon performed the surgery laprosopically and robotically. It was long-but the results are superior! I feel great-out of the hospital in 2 days. I started purreed food and am having no problems. I have had to concentrate on drinking liquids enough so that I don't run a fever. Walking up to a mile each morning already. Go for my post-op visit this afternoon. So happy I did this. I was ready to backout and almost cancelled when my surgery was postponed three days. So glad I didn't. Headed for a  trip to Greece in three weeks can hardly wait. Will be on solids by then but taking it very easy.
CarmelCandy777
on 8/29/11 1:17 am
I want to make sure I understand.  You had a DS and then it had to be switched to an RNY Distal?  Was this just a revision or due to complications?  When you say you feel funny do you mean you are in pain or its just a big adjustment? Are you getting your vitamins and proteins in despite this?
MARTINA P.
on 8/29/11 1:42 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I had to be converted to Distal RNY bcause I had complications.  When I say it feel funny I mean that it does not feel normal and I am uncomfortable some time it feel like something is getting stuck, Im going to throw up, or worstfeeling is feeling like everything drop fast I call it a roller coaster ride.  I am currently receiving TPN .
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

CarmelCandy777
on 8/29/11 12:15 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. It sounds as though someone understands something if they have you on a TPN.  Have you had any upper GI test lately?
Most Active
Recent Topics