Revision from Lapband to RNY, now thoughts on DS/Sleeve

Divine_Ambrosia
on 8/31/11 8:48 am - Cary, NC
 Hi all,

I have a revision surgery from Lap Band to RNY scheduled for Nov. 3 with Dr. Moran at Rex Hospital in North Carolina.  I was convinced RNY was what I needed, but of course now doing research I'm starting to second guess myself and become very concerned if I'm making the right choices.

I had lap band in 2004.  I was never successful with it.  So I see this is common amongst banders. :(

Anyhoo - Dr. Henderson is who I've been seeing to help me with my band, he recently came into practice with Dr. Moran.  I went to Dr. Henderson's office due to some band issues and Dr. Henderson really wanted the band out of me, ASAP.  But then he started pushing the Sleeve on me.  He is now specializing in their practice on sleeve and Lapband patients (he has done Lap Band to sleeve and Lap Band to RNY revisions)  I'd not even considered or thought about having the sleeve.  I told him I needed some time to consider it.  

Now that I've been reading about DS.  I'm wondering if this isn't right for me.  The low metabolic rate I have and other issues, it just seems like DS in the long run would be healthiest for me.

I called my insurance company, DS is covered.  Even though on obesityhelp Dr. Moran shows he does DS, there is NOTHING about DS on his actual company website.  Dr. Sudan, from Duke however is listed on DSfacts.com as an "A Lister" in the surgery.  I've contacted his office.

I've contacted my insurance again and they said that getting my surgeons changed (and the surgery type changed) would be as simple as the new surgeon sending in the paperwork over again and it shouldn't be an issue.  

Has anyone ever done that before?  Any opinions on Dr. Moran/Dr. Henderson/Dr. Sudan?  I'm really hoping someone out there has some help for me because I feel a bit panicked about this all and I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing in the right way.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

*Ash*
Lap Band Originally - May 2004
Lap Band to DS Revision Approved! Surgeon will be Dr. Sudan @ Duke.

MsBatt
on 8/31/11 10:35 am
Go with Dr. Sudan.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 12:56 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Dr. Sudan has an excellent reputation.
sherry99
on 9/1/11 4:50 am
Hi,

I see that you had a revision to DS from RNY.  I'm considering this myself as I've regained almost 60 lbs since my RNY in 2005.  Can you please give me some information on this procedure?  How is it working for you and what is the approximate cost?  I've got so many questions as I look into this.
Thanks so much in advance.

Sherry
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 5:08 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi,

At the time I had Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield, so I didn't pay. I've seen self pay amounts around the 20-25K mark.

I had the revision because my RNY included a permanent ring around the stoma, and it made me vomit everything. I was always sick and it caused esophageal erosion.

I had to repeat all of the pre-op testing from the first time. I had to go for a psych consult, nutritional consult, and do 6 months of supervised diet with my PCP. They waived the last part of the diet requirement since my revision was due to mechanical failure, and not weight gain (although I'd had some regain).

Dr. Greenbaum excised out the ring on the stoma, took down the pouch, reattached the stomach, made it into a sleeve, and did the intestinal bypass. He also cleaned up some surgical adhesions and a partial bowel obstruction. I was in the hospital from Dec. 21 - Dec. 25, and was sent home with a drain and a j-tube. I didn't have food for weeks. Went back to work on Feb. 1.

It's working amazingly well. I lost weight (from 221 to 163), I can eat without any problems, I feel fantastic, and I'm happy. I feel like I got my life back. No more dumping, no more reactive hypoglycemia and best of all, no more puking. Feel free to ask any more questions. :)
sherry99
on 9/1/11 5:15 am
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  As I look into this I may have more questions.
Thanks again and I'm so happy it worked well for you.
Sherry
Band to DS
on 9/1/11 12:47 am, edited 2/3/12 11:01 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/2/11 4:27 pm
I agree with the others, and if you have metabolic issues, you need the DS.
Divine_Ambrosia
on 9/13/11 6:13 am - Cary, NC
 Finally! I have my appointment on Monday the 19th w/ Dr. Sudan.

I am praying that since I've got everything already pre-taken care of, this will just go with flying colors.  I hope he'll take on my case.  I'm very anxious and just completely nervous.

Still have my RNY scheduled for Nov. 3rd currently.  But I'm hoping Dr. Sudan can fit me in ASAP and the insurance goes smoothly.  

*crosses fingers*
Lynda D.
on 9/13/11 4:43 pm, edited 9/13/11 4:48 pm
 Just don't get the RNY, ok? That pyloric valve is so, so important.

Dumping sucks. Reactive hypoglycemia is scary, and it sucks. Vomiting sucks. Getting food stuck sucks. Having to fight regain after about two years because you lose malabsorption, and having to go back to dieting sucks. 

The RNY sucks!

You do have to be uber careful with your nutrition with the DS, but the same is true for the RNY. I take about nineteen pills each day in supplements. I have to fight to keep myself properly nourished each day, only now I'm fat again. Man, that sucks! 

I figure I might have to take about twenty six pills each day when (Not if!) I get a revision to DS. Seven more pills, but my weight is gone and so is my dumping and reactive hypoglycemia. 

Now that does not suck!

Lynda

PS: I have to admit I'm jealous. It's happening for you! Exciting! Come to the DS board and let us know how things go with you. Or let me know. Feel free to PM me.

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

Most Active
Recent Topics