Revision surgery after gastric bypass and after lap band?

coconutatthebeach
on 9/25/11 7:16 am
Can I get a revision after having a gastric bypass many many years ago and a lap band a few years ago that has since been removed? And if so, to what?
Hislady
on 9/25/11 12:10 pm - Vancouver, WA
Well there are only 2 left that you haven't had and that is the sleeve and the DS. I'm not sure if they can do the sleeve afterr RNY you would have to check with a doc on that or try posting this on the sleeve forum. Have you resolved whatever the issues are that are causing your weight regain? It seems if you have had 2 surgeries already without much success there may be underlying issues that need to be resolved first.
You might get more response if you post this on the main forum too.
clpeltz
on 9/25/11 12:18 pm
Yes, you can revise to the sleeve or the DS.  There are a couple highly regarded surgeons in CA that do RNY to DS revision.  Can you tell us a little more about yourself?  We can give you more advice if we know when you had your previous surgeries and what issues you are facing now.  I had RNY in May of 2008.  I never hit goal and did gain back most of what I lost.  The problem with the RNY is that after about 18 months, you no longer malabsorb calories so you are back to dieting and exercising, but even harder because the extreme low cal diet you have been eating for the first 18 months of RNY life had literally destroyed your matabolism.  I also had other issues that had me gaining weight back.  You can read my profile for more info on me.  I had a revision to DS in April of this year.  I am so happy now and hope to remain that way for a long time.  Know that there are only a few surgeons in the US that can do this particular revision.  Post over on the DS forum and you can get more info.  Good luck on your journey!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Yehuda G.
on 9/25/11 3:51 pm
Yes, many have done well with revision to the DS after having both rny and the band. I do not see the use in the sleeve as you have already failed with two restrictive surgeries (or rather they failed you). You likely need the malabsorbtion of the DS for long term success. Best of luck.
Most Active