Band to RNY a mistake??

allraindrops
on 9/27/11 11:25 pm
I am terrified that I am going to fail with RNY as I failed miserably with the lap band....the doctor does not want to convert to DS because of the malnutrition dangers....but I've read a few documents that suggest that since the success rates long term for RNY and banding are not that different then there isn't any use is doing a revision surgery....

Also, what if I DON'T get dumping syndrome? I want it to help me get whipped into shape!....only 50% do?

Am new to this site so apologies if this topic has already been covered...

sandy_mt
on 9/28/11 1:38 am
 First of all, who is your surgeon?   He very well may not recommend the DS because he or she does not do it.  How much weight do you need to lose?  Many of us have been down the RNY route already and have converted to a DS since.  The effectiveness of the RNY does break down and the anastomosis on the pouch becomes dilated over a couple of years' time and will cause a disrupt in your blood sugars from food leaving your pouch too quickly.  This leads to eating more often and that in turn leads to weight gain (in MANY MANY people).  I gained almost all my weight back from my RNY and I am not alone.  It's not too late to cancel this surgery and do some more research.  Please message me if you have any other questions.

Sandy

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/28/11 3:56 am
First of all, you need to talk to a surgeon that actually does the DS to get accurate information. Many say they do it to get you in the door, then once you are there, they convince you to get something they actually perform. 

It makes me crazy to hear this, because it's always from surgeons that can't do the DS. It's like going to the Ford dealer, and wondering why they don't recommend a Mercedes. They won't send away a paying customer.

You will have to take vitamins with RNY (but slightly different ones than with DS) to avoid malnutrition as well. One big difference is, with RNY you will always malabsorb vitamins, but will regain the ability to absorb calories. With DS, you will always malabsorb vitamins, AND calories, particularly fat. That is one reason the maintenance is easier with DS, and how we have such great cholesterol numbers.

Dumping is a sadistic way to try to control behavior, and only 30-40 % of RNYers get it. On top of that, it isn't always just sweets that cause it. It's not actually an effective method of weight control. You may also want to look into reactive hypoglycemia, which more and more people are having issues with after having a procedure that bypasses the pylorus (RNY).

Once you let a surgeon cut your stomach into a pouch, and make a stoma bypassing your pyloric valve, it is very hard to go back to a sleeve or DS, because there are only a handful of surgeons in the world that can do that surgery safely. It is much higher risk than a virgin surgery. While you are technically a revision, your stomach hasn't been butchered into a RNY pouch yet, so you still have options. 

I'm also not sure what document you are referring to, but the band does not have similar success to RNY. I wouldn't let an enemy get the band. The sleeve is similar, but they are all worse than the DS, both in losing and maintaining weight loss, and resolution of co-morbidities. 

You need to do some research before letting your body be surgically altered, as this will affect you for better or worse for life, and the choices you make now will affect how successful you are or aren't, and whether you come back here for yet another chance at revision, which will have much higher risk next time around. There are studies about the DS and the other surgeries at at DSfacts.com, that are a good place to start your research. It's a big decision, and I wish you luck.

Hislady
on 9/28/11 9:03 am - Vancouver, WA
Well their is a "little" truth to the band and RNY having the same results 5 years out BUT that is considwering successful bandsters and sucessful RNYers. I don't think it includes those who are unsuccessful with with either one and believe me there are thousands of unsuccessful bandsters! You would no doubt have more success with any other WLS, because the band just isn't a good surgery, period!
What the others have said is absolutely true so find a surgeon that does all 4 main surgeries and then take it from there.
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/12 5:15 am - Bay City, MI
I am in the same boat. Failed at the Lap Band, now revision in 9 days. I'm talking to my doctor about it on Thursday though.
Most Active
Recent Topics